Hi,
Several people e-mailed me to inquire about the answers I recieved concerning
converting a Power Point Presentation to a video. The following are responses sent
to me by the helpful LM_NET family. Thanks a lot guys.
Do you have a converter?  One of those little boxes
that puts your computer onto a tv screen?  They are
pretty inexpensive.  About $150  Then you can hook a
tv to your computer with a VCR, run your power point
and record onto a VCR.
You need a converter box that runs between the computer and the VCR. You
plug one cable into the computer where the monitor usually plugs in, plug
the monitor into another plug on the converter box, and then run an RCA line
from the converter box to the VCR.

We use one that Apple makes and you can get cabling for a PC, and Radio
Shack might have something.
This site has helped with other PP questions I have encountered. I see there
is a link regarding videos.

http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/
As far as I know, the only ways to convert a Power Point to a video are
either with an external box that converts the computer output to standard
video and run it to a VCR or with an internal video card that has a TV
output. It's also possible that there is a video editing program that will
let you import a Power Point file, but I'm not familiar with one. We
converted a Power Point display to video at school about 2 years ago, using
an external converter, unfortunately I don't remember the name or
manufacturer, but it ran about $200 I believe. The new computer lab doesn't
have one.
You will need to use a converter box between your computer and you vcr.  I
connect the converter box and VCR with an S-VHS cable.  You will also want a
monitor hooked up.  I usually use my video lab since I can just plug my
Scan-it box right into my editing VCR.  It is not hard once you've done it
once.  Do be aware that some of the older converters don't allow you to
transfer sound. Good luck
The easiest way I know is to go through a TVator.  I have a fancy
television I bought thinking it would make this stuff easier, and ended up
going back to the TVator in Nov. for a presentation.

TVators are relatively cheap and easy to use.  I followed the instructions
in the book.
Yes, there is a way to turn a Power Point presentations into video.  You need a
video card.  I'm sure there are many in the market.  The one we use I think is
called "All in one wonder" by ATI technologies.  Their website is not very user
friendly.  Unless you are or you have a computer technician (I am not), you may be
better off buying the product at a local computer store, where sales personnel
might be more helpful in explaining what you are buying or what you need for your
computer.  You also need a VCR that has an S-video connection.
I use the video output on a laptop straight to the VCR input.  It works great.

I received several requests for a hit.  There are two ways of doing, with
> card and with a box to convert for viewing in TV and then connecting the
TV
> to a VCR as explained in the Powerpoint link below.  Following are the
> -----------------
> What I use is something called an ATI card to convert Power Point
> presentations to video.  It seems to be the card of choice.  It sometimes
> makes your screen do funny things, but if you have a technician he/she
will
> know what to do.
> --------------------
> Power Point Site
> http://www.actden.com/pp/unit8/8_main.htm
>
> ----------------------
> you need a video capture card with video out after that, all you do is
> connect the vcr to your pc, via your video capture card

I can't remember how to insert a video clip from the Internet into
> >Powerpoint.  My problem seems to be downloading and saving the clip.
>
>    Basically you will be dealing in these types of video files:
> Microsoft Video (.avi file for the PC), Apple QuickTime .mov files for
> Mac and PC , and MPEG movie clips for PC and Mac (.mpg and .mpeg).
> RealPlayer .RAM video files are typically Internet-only and can't be
> saved.
>
>    Saving Quicktime files from the Internet requires the registered
> version of Quicktime, not the free player. Not all QT movies will allow
> the save option even for registered users as the creator may deny that
> option. The .AVI and MPEG files should present no problems in saving
> from the Net.
>
>     For QT go to Insert, Object, Existing object, Select your .mov file
> and OK. The movie will open in the QuickTime Player, but if you want
> Power point to play it itself, you'll have to use the Mac version of
> Power Point: the Windows version doesn't allow that.

Thanks,
Priscilla Dickerson
Media Clerk/Library Grad Student
Savannah Arts Academy Media Center
pagrad2000@netscape.net
Savannah, Georgia 31405

--

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the
convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/