<my program Follett allows me to make notes, I had a student last year
<whose mom asked that he not check out violent books, I just put a note in
<the computer, problem solved

I don't know if I would be happy with this solution. Did the parents also go
to the public library and make this request?  If you make a note and a
student still checks out a book on the occult, then what?

I would request a conference with the parents and the student and make them
understand you are not the Book Police. The girl has to take some initiaive
and not borrow these books...you can't possibly supervise each time she is
in the library. And what if she comes on a study hall and reads an occult
book?

What if the subject matter was different? What if the parent said no books
about sex education? Of homosexuality?  The student still has a right to
those materials, I believe.

I am not promoting the occult, or homosexuality. I just think librarians
have already gone thru their selection policy when we make our purchases and
if a parent has a further problem then there are procedures to challenge
books and have them removed from a collection.

Karen DeFrank, LMS
Bullock School
Glassboro, NJ 08028
kdefrank@glassboro.k12.nj.us