Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:15:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Maureen D. Pastine <mpastine@nimbus.ocis.temple.edu>
To: david dillard <jwne@astro.temple.edu>
Subject: [MEMBER-FORUM:3154] Letter of Response to Concerns about ALA's
    Position (fwd)

fyi

Maureen Pastine                                 (215) 204-3259
University Librarian                    FAX:    (215) 204-5201
Paley Library (017-00)                          mpastine@nimbus.temple.edu
Temple University
1210 W. Berks Street
Philadelphia, PA  19122-6088

---------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:10:55 -0400
From: "Maurice J. (Mitch) Freedman" <freedman@wlsmail.org>
To: ALA Council <alacoun@ala.org>, ALA Member Forum <member-forum@ala.org>,
     ALA Executive Board <alaboard@ALA1.ALA.ORG>,
     "NYLINE@unix10.nysed.gov" <NYLINE@unix10.nysed.gov>,
     Public Library System Directors Organization of NY State <pulisdo@sals.edu>,
     Public Library Directors Association of Westchester County
    <directors@wls.lib.ny.us>
Subject: [MEMBER-FORUM:3154] Letter of Response to Concerns about ALA's Position

Dear Colleagues,

Following is the letter that has been going out over my signature and
which represents ALA's position--it is being sent to people who have
expressed concerns about ALA's stance on the Patriot Act, privacy, etc.

"Thank you for your recent letter.

"America's libraries support our nation's efforts to preserve and
protect the many hard-fought freedoms we enjoy as Americans. Librarians
also have a responsibility to protect the privacy of our patrons while
responding to legitimate national security concerns.  In 49 of fifty
states, most librarians are obligated by law to protect the
confidentiality of patrons' library records and to require that a law
enforcement agent provide a court order before releasing patrons'
library records.

"The American Library Association is concerned about the provisions of
the U.S.A. Patriot Act that allow the FBI to seek information on
Americans' reading habits, as if it were possible to determine what
someone might do based upon what he or she has read.  This wide-ranging
federal surveillance of library records is a troubling development that
will have a chilling effect on the public's use of library resources.

"When someone checks out a book or looks at the Internet, it does not
mean they agree with the information they find or that they intend to
act on that information. Librarians  will continue to fight for their
patrons' First Amendment right to read and receive information without
government interference.

 "Maurice J. (Mitch) Freedman
 President, American Library Association"

--
Maurice J. (Mitch) Freedman, MLS, PhD
President of the American Library Association

http://www.mjfreedman.org; freedman@wlsmail.org
Director, Westchester (NY) Library System
410 Saw Mill River Road
Ardsley, NY 10502
Voice: 914-231-3223; Fax: 914-674-4193
All communications regarding the U*N*A*B*A*S*H*E*D Librarian
should be sent to <editor@unabashedlibrarian.com>

"I'll be seeing you, in all the old familiar places..."