Thank you very much for your time and responses to my question on process
models:  When researching the various information process models which are
out there one can become overwhelmed and wonder where to start?  I am
anxious to hear which process model you have found most useful and why.

Here are the responses I received:

Our district uses the Big6.  I find it very easy to teach even to
kindergartners.

Shirley Lukenbill, Librarian
512-428-3410
Wells Branch Elementary School
Round Rock Independent School District
Austin, TX  78728
-and-
Lecturer
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas  78712-1276

------------------------------
I use the Big 6, as it is breaks down the various steps very clearly.

Elizabeth Bentley BA MCLIP
Head of Learning Resources
Northbrook C of E School
London  SE12 8PD
mailto:elizabeth@wardrobe-on-the-web.com
------------------------------
I have been using the Big6 with grades 3-5 and the Super 3 with lower elem
grades. I like it because of the language and because it is easy to follow.
The web site has lots of information on using it. ALA also has a 4 step
process but I do not have the steps here at home. I saw it on one of the
videos they put out on info literacy. I also like that process. I don't know
if one process is better than another but I do believe a process helps
students learn to think about what they are doing. The Big6 can be used in
work settings and life decisions which is another reason I like it. Several
times I have used it when I was trying to design a lesson for a particular
teacher and need. It worked well for me.
Good luck,
Jean Koch, LMS
Va Beach , VA
-----------------------------
I really like Alice Yucht's (who is a member and often posts to this
listserv) PROBLEM SOLVING MODEL:  FLIP IT   for grades 4 - 7

     an article on it can be found at:

http://www.hvla.org/news/programs/flipit.html

     what i really like most about it is that the students have a model,
which is in terms THEY can easily understand, and even memorize the acronym
from the beginning....when they use it a few times, they have a place where
they can always say to themselves.... WHAT DO I DO NEXT?

          originally.... the class came up with FLIP/IT: Find, Locate,
Identify, Process / Intelligent Thinking

     it has now become (for the general problem solving:)

     The method is based on the simple question: IF you know the real
question THEN you can tell what information you need.

FOCUS: Zoom in on target
what is the specific question?
how can I narrow my target?
what are my real working questions?
what kinds of data do I need to find/work with?

LINKS:
what connections can I make?

resources
keywords
logical way to proceed

how can I use these connections most efficiently and effectively?
INPUT:
what kinds of information do I need?
how do I interpret the information I've acquired?
how should I implement/prioritize/categorize/organize this information?
what inferences can I man?
are there new ideas to consider?
how do I record and acknowledge this data?
PAYOFF:
how can I best communicate/present what I've learned/accomplished?
what kind of product is required? how do I produce it?
what can I earn from these efforts?
what additional possibilities can I consider?

Michael Brocato
Teacher/ Librarian
Hynes Elem School
New Orleans, LA
------------------------
I like the Big Six because students use some of the steps in
the Big Six for any assignment.  If they do a research project
they get the assignment, have to think about what they need to
complete it, have to think about where to find the information
needed, take notes, make it or write the project, and evaluate
it - turn it in.  Even a math assignment requires students to
use three of the steps.

Kathy Geronzin
District Librarian
Northeast Community Schools