Hello everyone -

Once again I turn to LM_NET for expert information.

I am an MLS student working on a project about disposal
of weeded materials.  I am to survey large public libraries
in New York State to find out what to do with weeded items.

The list of weeded material includes:
Duplicates
Unsolicited and unwanted gifts
Obsolete books, especially science
Superseded editions
Books that are infested, dirty, shabby, worn out, etc.
Books with small print, brittle paper, missing pages
Unused, unneeded volumes of sets
Periodicals with no indexes
Books that have not circulated for two years
Books that are shabby but usable
Recently replaced reference annuals (PDR, Thomases)
Paperbacks that have been replaced with hardbacks.

I am to assume that I am going to dispose of all of the above.
I have read many disposal threads which talk about giving
away, selling, or discretely throwing away, but mostly in
general terms.  Does anyone have specific disposal information
on any of the items listed above, and scenarios that
might cause particular problems with perception
by the public, board of trustees, municipal officials,
the press, etc. ?

Any and all information will be much appreciated,
not to mention very interesting reading.  If you would
be so kind when you respond, would you tell me the
name/size of your city and the number of volumes in your
public library when responding?  Thank you !

Steve Patnode
MLS Student
Southern Connecticut State University
sun85@aol.com