I've been decorating my library, but not with anything that needs to be fed
(animals) or watered (plants). I know my limitations. I don't have any walls
for posters, so instead, I scour the bargain shelves at stores like Ross or
Marshall's, and keep an eye out for inexpensive knickknacks under $10 that
advertise a book, either by title or subject. The results are amazing. The
kids see the items on the shelf and then they take a look at the book. I
could have a book gathering dust but if I advertise it with some object, all
of a sudden everyone wants it and the book is reserved for two months. Just
yesterday I picked up two colorful ancient Egyptian statues for $5.00 each,
which can be used to advertise mythology, biographies (pharaohs), travel,
mummies, pyramids, art, and a few fiction books. That way, if the advertised
book goes out, I can replace it with another. The more I collect, the more
often I can change the displays. The trick is not to spend too much money on
any one item, or get anything that is valuable or breakable, in case an
accident happens. The kids are also allowed to pick up the items and examine
them. I have fun collecting this junk and matching them with books and it
does add a lot of interest to the shelves. This is not my original idea. An
elementary librarian was kind enough to let me observe her when I was
starting out, and she had her library decorated with all sorts of neat
stuff. Thanks, Holly!

Rosanne Zajko - Librarian
Ancillae Assumpta Academy
Wyncote, Pa.