-----Original Message-----
From: Jill.MIDOLO@eddept.wa.edu.au [mailto:Jill.MIDOLO@eddept.wa.edu.au]
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 9:18 PM

Hi Dan,
There is an organisation in Australia called 'Screenrights' that deals
with this particular aspect of copyright in Australia.
They have a section on their website that explains what they do and how:

http://www.screen.org/html/aboutus.htm
Scroll down to the third paragraph to see the bit about educational
institutions.
As you can see, they administer educational copyright based on sections
in the Australian Copyright Law.
There is more in the Users section when you click on 'Australian
Educational Institutions'
http://www.screen.org/html/users.htm

We have similar educational copying rights for books and music with
these licences also being paid on behalf of schools by the education
systems/departments in each state. Schools do have to keep records of
what they copy and there is a system of auditing.
Those agencies are:
APRA [Australasian Performing Right Association] for music:
http://www.apra.com.au/Licence/LEdu.htm
CAL [Copyright Agency Limited] for print copying:
http://www.copyright.com.au/educational_institutions.htm

We really benefit in schools, but our education systems do pay a lot of
money for these privileges.
Cheers,
Jill
Jill Midolo, Editor Technology Focus and CMIS Evaluation Website
CMIS  (Curriculum Materials Information Services)
Department of Education Western Australia
151 Royal Street  East Perth  WA  6004
Ph:  (08) 9264 4192  Fax:  (08) 9264 5708
Email:  mailto:jill.midolo@eddept.wa.edu.au
Website:  http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/cmis/eval/