I recently targeted a program called "First Book" and asked for pros
and cons from anyone who knows of or who has worked with the program.
I received no feedback from any of you --just some enthusastic
requests for a hit from librarians who wanted to know more about the
program.  I did, however, receive a detailed response to my questions
from Roopal Saran, the Community Development Director for the First
Book Program.  She has given me permission to repost her remarks.  I
have included her signature at the bottom in case you would like to
contact her or access the website for more information.

"To answer your questions, we give away books in two different ways
at First Book.  The first is through our network of Local Advisory
Boards (LABs - we currently have 180 across the US).  These LABs
raise funds to make grants of brand new paperback books to programs
serving low-income children.  When a program receives a grant, the
program gets to choose their books directly from lists and catalogs
put out by the publisher.  We work with the publishers every 1-2
years to produce the catalog.  Our advisors at the American Library
Assn as well as other First Book friends who are familiar with
children's literature make sure that the titles offered are good
children's literature.

The other way we distribute books is through excess publisher
donations.  The publishers we work with will notify us if they have
books that didn't sell at their price point or that were
over-printed.  Again, we take the lists of titles and show them to
our supporters who are familiar with children's literature.  If the
books are approved, we accept the donation.  These books can be in
hardcover and in paperback."

Roopal Mehta Saran
Director, Community Development
First Book