I want to thank all who took the time to assist me in using Excel.  I wanted
to know if it were possible to change those grey header bars that identify
the columns as A,B,C,... and the rows as 1,2,3... to something I needed it to
say.

Well, you can't.  You MUST use Column A and Row 1 for your labels.

My problem is that I am trying to replace the paper sign-in sheets for the 20
public terminal at my public library.  We have to deal with three sheets of
paper with columns representing terminals 1-9 on the first, 10 -16 on the
second, and 17-20 on the third.  Then, down the side of each is a list of
times for our hours of operation (9:00, 9:15, 9:30, 9:45, 10:00, 10:15,
...8:30, 8:45).

A patron comes to reference, we put his last name in a slot and draw an hour
through the next 3 slots representing the hour he is allowed on that machine.
 If he leaves early, we have to erase the arrow.  If he comes up complaining
about his terminal being too slow, we have to completely erase the name, the
arrow, and write him in elsewhere.  So, by 10 AM every day, the sheets are a
mess of erasures, smudges; our fingers are stained with pencil lead, and our
nerves are frayed.

So my spreadsheet must be 21 columns by 49 rows.  But, I need to be able to
"see" the labels identifying the columns and times so I don't write names
inti the wrong box.  The labels kept going off-screen as I scrolled.  Ken
Umbach told me about the "Freeze Panes" function which will allow me to
continue to "See" Column A & Row 1 regardless of where I scroll in my
spreadsheet.  To do this, you click in box B2.  Then you go to the "Window"
menu and select "Freeze Frame"  And Voila!!! Your labels will always be
visible.

Now, can someone tell me how to get rid of all the rows and columns that are
outside the perameters of my spreadsheet?

Dawn Sardes
YA Librarian
Dmsardes@aol.com