Wow!  You folks are amazing!  I received several responses and requests =
to share your wisdom.  So here goes...
Keep a list in a folder of things teachers ask for.
Solicit teacher and student suggestions when ordering.
If asked for something for the collection, deliver it as soon as =
possible, or if necessary, put it on reserve for that person when it is =
available.
Communicate!  Get to know your faculty and students.
Put helpful or interesting articles in teacher's boxes.
Tape candy to memos you send (This suits me- being my name is Candy =
Sample!).
Do story/lesson then book exchange. =20
Have bookmarks ready at the desk.
Publish a list of new books as soon as they are processed.
Have rotating activities for students.
Let students get to know you.
Wear interesting jewelry (if that's your thing).
Relax and enjoy the students.
Ask for help.
Find a mentor.
Use the first year for experience.  Keep track of what works, what =
doesn't.  Wait until the second year for big changes.
Decide which skills you will teach and prepare early.
Prepare a variety of book talks and activities.
Get to know your collection.
If you're having a hard time fitting a skill into the curriculum or =
collaboration, turn it into a game:
travel agents (to conduct country research)
trivia team competition (World Book and picking word searches)
Listen and read up on what is happening in the classrooms and pull =
resources ahead of time.
Know major curriculum areas.
Don't worry about small stuff.
Promote what you do.
Welcome volunteers.
Do contests-promote!
Keep staff informed with a newsletter.
Listen to the children!
Have fun.
Participate in state's Children's Book Awards.
Some helpful sites:
http://tln.lib.mi.us/~rtruxall/media/
http://www.pld.ayatte.k12.ky.us/lms/index.html

Thanks so much to all of you.  I have plenty to help me prepare over the =
summer.  This must be a popular topic because I have seen similar =
queries since posting my target. =20
Candace Sample
soon-to-be-librarian
Poplar Branch,NC