From:   Mary Ludwick [mailto:ludwick@SWBELL.NET]
<mailto:[mailto:ludwick@SWBELL.NET]>
Sent:   Monday, June 11, 2001 10:43 AM
To:     LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU <mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Subject:        Hit: How to Clean Machines......

.I think it is very unfortunate for several of you that your university
omitted this information.  One of the most useful courses I took was "School
Library Media Center" and it was 90% practical, usable information.  (Thanks
TWU and Dr. Thomas!) We had to learn how to clean just about anything one
might find in the school as well as do basic trouble shooting.  The
professor had ancient equipment as well as modern things (digital
equipment).  He also spent some time telling us what the real world would be
vs ideal situations.  To get to the issue:
        You need to purchase some "canned air" and a good lens cloth.
Walmart will often have canned air, if not a camera shop should.  I went
to a camera shop to get the lens cloth.  I think I paid about $6.00 for it a
few years ago.  It is a small piece of cloth that won't leave lint behind.
You will also need alcohol and long Qtips to clean VCR and tape recorder
heads.
        On the overheads....Most are very simple, although I have one brand
in my school which makes cleaning difficult.  Find the booklet that came
with the machine if possible.
The surface which one writes upon is the stage.  Below it is a fresnal
lens.  The lens is inside the machine.  It is an integral part of the
machine. NEVER, NEVER  put cleaner, water or anything on the lens to try
to clean it.  The fresnal lens should be cleaned by blowing the canned air
over it and then wiping with the lens cloth.  That is ALL that is done to
the lens to clean it.
When mine were so dirty, I brought my vacuum cleaner from home, opened the
machines and suctioned out all that I could.  This was the first step.  Most
were full of dust bunnies from many years of use.  I vacuumed the cooling
fan blades also.
        Then I opened the area to clean the fesnal lens.  This is where you
may need your manual to see how to get to the fresnal lens.  Do NOT
remove the lens from the machine.  It should have 2 screws to loosen and
then the lens has hinges to open/drop open to allow you to blow it clean
and then wipe with the lens cloth.  As I mentioned I have one mfg. brand
that makes this difficult, the others are very simple.  The positioning
of the lens is essential to the overhead working and if it is put in
wrong one won't get a clear image.  That is why it is not removed and
the mfg. puts hinges so you can clean and put it back correctly.  If you
don't have a manual for the machine, when you open it to change bulbs you
can probably see what to loosen to drop down the fresnal lens.
Regarding the VCR and tape recorder heads....The long cotton swabs are
purchased at camera/electronic store.  They have had wooden stems on them.
Rubbing alcohol is all you need.  Dip the swab in the alcohol and rub across
the heads and presto, the deed is done.  Most difficult part is worrying
about "Where the heck ARE the heads?"
(smile)   The tape recorders and VCRs will go a long time before needing
this.  If a teacher says the machine doesn't seem quite clear, try cleaning
heads before sending it out for service.  Often it just needs the heads
cleaned.
We learned how to fix broken Video tapes, but I don't know that I can write
that clearly...Scotch brand magic mending tape is needed.  Take movie case.
Try to open the "door hinge" to look at tape.  You will note that you can't
unless you push in on a small plastic tab on left.  Now put something in to
hold door open...I have found a  pencil works fine...I put pencil on top of
tape container and jam open the door..(Is this at all clear??)  Then you can
GENTLY pull the tape out.  If tape is broken, cut ends on diagonal cut,
carefully place together and apply the scotch tape.  Try to cut as little
off as possible.  If the tape has been "eaten" cut the damaged part off and
splice together.  You can manually turn the spools and rewind back into the
case.
        Good luck!!  :)

--
Mary Croix Ludwick   ludwick@swbell.net <mailto:ludwick@swbell.net>  (home)
ludwickm@lisd.net(school <mailto:ludwickm@lisd.net(school> )

listserv@listserv.syr.edu <mailto:listserv@listserv.syr.edu>    In the
message write EITHER:
1)      SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL or 3) SET LM_NET DIGEST 4) SET
LM_NET MAIL  * Please allow for confirmation from Listserv.
<http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/>
<http://askeric.org/Virtual/Listserv_Archives/LM_NET.html>
<http://www.mindspring.com/~el-announce/>