6th, 7th and 8th grade language arts classes have requested I schedule them
permanently for every other week for the coming school year.  The areas they
listed as wanting covered are using reference resources, citing of sources
and Accelerated Reader.  (Last year, except for sixth grade classes rotating
through each six weeks, my schedule was flex.)  I am working on guidelines
to give the teachers before we begin this new fixed/flexed schedule and plan
to meet w/them before school starts, go over the guidelines, provide some
kind of treat, etc.. I think it is a good idea to schedule them this way in
because I really did not see enough of my students last year except for
those blessed teachers who did send them for book exchange and some who
worked w/me cooperatively on research projects.  However, I do NOT want to
be trapped into a fixed treadmill all over again like I was in my elementary
years!  I will have these guidelines approved by principal prior to giving
them to the teachers.

If you can think of anything I should add, or if you have such a schedule
and guidelines, please let me know.  I am worried that #3 sounds a little
harsh, but I want on the other hand to be very up front about things...#6 is
a byproduct of my elementary days when I had a teacher who wanted me to make
up the classes she missed over Thanksgiving plus the other constant
bickering/demanding over rescheduled classes... #7 needs some fine
tuning...Thanks.

1.You must fill out a cooperative planning form, which includes spaces for
the objective being taught, materials needed, students w/special needs, etc.
prior to your library visit EACH TIME, one week in advance, so that I will
know what to be prepared for and how best to help your students!  I will
provide you w/forms to use.  This applies for days when you have a sub, too.
2. The best way to teach the use of reference sources and the citing of
those sources is for YOU to assign a simple project, scavenger hunt, quiz
question, etc.  Then I can help them locate the information and cite it.
Perhaps one week we could cover using and citing an encyclopedia, another
week using and citing an Internet resource, etc.
3. You need to please remain w/your classes and take an active instructional
role with them during their library visits. While I welcome your scheduling
your classes in, this is not to be confused with a way to provide teachers
with additional planning time and is not to be used for planning time.
4. You listed reference sources, citations and AR as topics you wanted
covered.  I would be glad to extend topics into the areas of PowerPoint,
digital camera use, scanning, etc.  Again, it is up to you to create the
actual assignment.
5.  I will give each of you a copy of the library media curriculum as soon
as the final revision is done--should be by October.  You will see some
things therein we should cover that you may not have thought of.
6. Classes missed or cancelled due to snow, holidays, workdays, assemblies,
etc. will not be rescheduled or rearranged.  The topic to have been covered
will be covered during the next regularly scheduled class. Special
circumstances may arise (library needed for testing, workshop, etc.)
necessitating the cancellation of your class.  Please be understanding if
this happens.  It happened a few times last year, not often, and should not
be a problem on the whole.
7. Should there be any discipline problems, I will speak to the students, of
course, but please be prepared to guide/handle your students'
behavior/misbehavior yourself.  I have found our students to be 99%
cooperative and well behaved in the library, fortunately!
8. Your regularly scheduled classes, will end two weeks before the last
student day of school.
Julia Steger, Librarian, Clifton Middle School, Covington VA

    A lap is a terrible thing to waste--
adopt a pet from your local animal shelter.
"And those are my principles.  If you don't
like them...well, I have others..."
                                   --Groucho Marx