I hope I did this right.  This is my first HIT. Thanks for all the ideas.

Once I used Rock and Read.  It was a rock n roll theme and we had a lot of
scrambled word puzzles with current artists and titles (let your sons help
you
with that).

I like the rocking chair, too.  Not to mention all you could do with cats!
Catwing..  Nervous, tying in with scary stories.
I'm thinking about popsicle sticks for Adirondack type chairs, with perhaps
bendable wire for the curved rocker underneath.  or there's just go to be
some
type of container that can be recycled that I haven't thought of yet, that
has curved parts.

You might be able to fit this craft in:  It's a rain stick...I
know it's not rocks but surely there's
a story about Australia or Africa that you could use this.
http://www.canteach.ca/elementary/earthspace5.html

Sylvester and the magic pebble is a good one.  Find or buy at
your local home garden supply
some quarter size stones and have the kids paint them red for
their very own 'magic pebble'.

Janet - If you don't get what you need, please contact me if
you'd like me
to write out directions and send them to you for a wooden
rocking chair made
out of clothespins and glue.  I'd have to do it by snail mail as
I have only
the sample rocker without directions.  It's just big enough to
hold a tiny
plant pot (about two inches) on the seat.

My son made a rocking chair out of clothes pins. I don't have
directions but
maybe you can find some. It was real simple.

Although it's maybe not exactly what you're looking for, I have an idea
which does pertain to your "Rock" theme.  After reading a Frog and Toad
story, children could make their own frogs from rocks.  Select various sized
rocks to be glued together forming a head, body and feet.  Then the children
could paint their frogs to look like Frog or Toad.  Hope you like this idea.

Hi,
How about putting together rocking chairs with toothpics.  They can glue it
together or bind them
with string ties or something. It would take some playing around, but I
imagine it can be done.  If
not toothpicks, how about craft sticks?

Read Byrd Baylor's "Everyone Loves a Rock".   Purchase some small shined
"rocks" (pebble sized, shiny, pretty) at a rock shop if you can.  Give one
to each child as they leave.  I buy enough that they can "choose" one that
appeals to them.  My son's librarian did that with his class and he loved
it;  I did it with several third grade classes of myown and they were
equally enthralled.
--

For your rocks thing, you've GOT to read _If You Find a Rock_ by
Peggy

I hope this reply is not too late...  In a grad class a year
ago, one middle
school librarian did a rock-n-roll theme at her school's
library.  She had a
block a time where students were challenged to keep the rocking
chair moving
non-stop.  Kids signed up for 5-10 minute slots of sitting in
the chair
reading.  One student gets out another gets in.  That idea would
definitely
fit with "reading rocks" and does motivate students.

Janet Perry, Librarian
Cerro Gordo CUSD 100, Cerro Gordo, IL
perrybros@hotmail.com