We use them in many ways, as illus. material in an integrated arts focus, as
a result of my work with an art teacher.  In using them in this way we
compiled a database of them by call#, title, author, illus. and art media
used, so when the teacher wants pastels, watercolors, wax resistent, etc.,
or even the style of an illustrator we know what to pull.  By the way the
collection had never been added with this in mind, it was just one of the
ways I was able to extend its use.

When I realized the art teacher also was doing a unit on perspective this
past year I was able to add a few picture book titles that can quickly and
uniquely address different approaches to this topic.

Picture books are  also used as reading models before our sixth grades
embark on an extended project to write and illustrate their own original
picture books which they then share in an end of the year activity with next
years incoming fifth graders.

Of course many of them have been purchased because they add support and
extend the focus of our content driven units.

We also have our speech teachers use them to try to develop fluency in
reading aloud by their students, and for this reason I am going to look for
titles even more simple and with fewer words to accommodate their success.

Our parapro teaching assistants heavily use them as the focus of alternative
approaches to classroom content and research with research and/or
differentiated instruction directed by the classroom teacher.  We have both
fiction and nonfiction titles in our collection.

As we all know picture books often appeal to a more mature level than their
format suggests, and many I feel are perfect for our level and above.  I
come from a strong K-8 library experience over the course of my career and I
am sure it is one of the reasons I naturally try to include them when
appropriate.

Although my present school shelves them in a special location together for
the convience of teachers, I loved the way my old district shelved the
fiction picture books right in with the fiction chapter books and novels at
the elementary and middle school levels.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Fencil
Kathleen H. Fencil
kathy@jasmine.mv.com