After I posted my hit on solving the missing toolbar problem, I rec'd. one
more very detailed email with several suggestions. Since several people
requested a hit, I am posting this one as well. In the meantime, I also
solved my problem with my missing icons on the taskbar when I am using the
Internet. I went to Start-Settings-Start & Taskbar Menu-Taskbar
Options-Check Always on Top. The icons returned!

Here are the suggestions I recently received for the missing toolbars:

From time to time my toolbar gets messed up - usually by my husband at home
and
the kids at school!  Whenever that happens, here is what I do:

1.  Click view, point to "toolbars" and make sure that all the usual
toolbars
are checkmarked.  If they are, then I click on "customize" (also under the
view/toolbars
menu) and make sure all the usual buttons are listed in the column on the
right.
 If not, I would go to the left column, highlight the button and click add.

2.  Next, I go to the toolbars that are still showing and hover my mouse
over
the various horizontal and vertical bars that separate toolbars.  You will
see
the regular arrow turn into a black line with a black arrow head on both
ends.
 If you click and drag at this point, you should be able to move the
toolbars
up or down, or left and right.  Play around with that, and you should get
your
address bar to appear again.
3.  To get the buttons back to a smaller size, click "view", point to
"toolbars"
and then click "customize".  At the bottom left of the dialog box you will
see
an option that says "icon options".  Click the drop down arrow next to that,
so that you can choose either "small icons" or "large icons".
4.  Last - if you want to change the order in which your icons appear, click
"view", point to "toolbars" and then click "customize".  In the right hand
column,
highlight the button you wish to move, and then click the "move up" or "move
down" button.

This all should get your toolbar back to the way you like it - at least
until
the next time someone else monkies around with it!

Now - as for viewing the little icons on yoru desktop toolbar - that is a
bit
of a mystery to me.  This would not be the best solution - but it might
help.
 Go to the "view" menu and uncheck "status bar" and see if that helps.  If
it
does not, try this:  Hover your mouse over the bottom of your internet
explorer
screen and see if it turns into the black line with a black arrow at each
end.
 If it does, play around with that and see if you can make the bottom
outline
of the internet explorer window move up to uncover the desktop toolbar.  You
could also try this:

1.  There is a button between the "Minimize" and "close" buttons in the
upper
right corner.  Click that button so that your window appears smaller.

2.  In the bottom right corner, you should see three diagonal lines.  Hover
your mouse button over those lines till the black double arrow appears.
Click
and drag the corner of the IE window, until it looks like you want it to
look,
and the desktop toolbar is still showing.

3. Then click that center button which is alternativly called "restore" or
"maximize"
and see if that has any effect.  I don't know if it will help - but give it
a try.

Lois Tabis
Librarian, Sharpsville High School
Sharpsville, PA