My sincere thanks to all who replied.  This list is SO helpful!  Most stated
that these issues need to be addressed in the school's AUP and handled
accordingly.  I totally agree; however, our county's AUP addresses only
internet use.  I hope that our problems in dealing with this issue will
prompt revision/admendment to include all computer use and spell out
repercussions of various levels of infraction.  We are currently handling
this as an episode of "vandalism" under the schools general policies.

Most of those who replied denied computer privileges for varying lengths of
time for 1st time offenders, and went on to parental notification,
detention, or even suspension for subsequent (or more serious) offenses.  A
few mentioned that during detention, the student should have to dust
monitors, run scandisk or other routine maintenance on computers so that he
would learn to value the time those tasks took.

One person suggested redirecting the student's talents and making use of
them to help maintain school computers.  I do not feel I can trust this
particular student to do that. This person also gave the very sound advice
that it's not wise to get on a hacker's "bad" side.

A couple of responses said to document the amount of time required to
restore the computer to its original state and to charge the student for
staff time.

Two persons highly recommended a security program called "DeepFreeze."
Unfortunately, budget constraints will keep us from being able to use this
approach at this time.

Again, thanks for all the helpful responses and group support.  You're the
best!

Virginia Martin, librarian
Ketron Middle School
Kingsport, TN 37660