Earlier this week I posted a message asking for assistance because one of =
my library aid's positions was being targeted to be cut from seven and a =
half hours a day to 4 hours a day.  Because of the messages I received =
from LM_NET I was able to prepare an outline for the School Board meeting =
on Wednesday evening.  The messages from LM_NET that helped me the most =
were these:  Put your job in perspective with the job of the library aid, =
in other words, what does the professional do and what does the aid do.  =
Then I read one of Doug Johnson's articles which said the library aids do =
work that is indispensable to the operation of the library.  The books =
have to be shelved, the circulation desk has to be manned, etc.  When =
there is not adequate staffing for the library aid position the =
professional has to pick up the slack because those jobs have to get done. =
 If the professional is doing those jobs they don't have the time they need=
 for the professional responsibilities.  Those professional duties would =
include collaboration with teachers, writing curriculum, delivery =
instruction, and cataloging new materials.

At the School Board meeting I explained those points and then I tied this =
into the school board's goals for this school year which include reading =
and writing instruction.  At our inservice meetings the main point has =
been that we have to increase standardized test scores.  Then I mentioned =
the studies coming out of other states such as Colorado which show a =
direct correlation between test scores and adequate staffing of school =
library media centers.  I also stressed that it was their children who =
would not receive the library services they have in the past and how much =
I have prided myself in making sure that all students in the district =
receive good library service.  Then I asked the School Board to please =
reconsider this planned reduction in staff. =20

When I finished speaking, a teacher's aid (who is also a parent) spoke up =
and said.  "Kathy is a wonderful teacher.  She teaches those kids things =
they don't learn in other classes.  I see how busy the aids are when she =
is teaching and she doesn't have time to do all those other jobs."  Then =
the superintendent said to the school board, "We have to ask Diane (the =
elementary principal) to reconsider this."  I spoke to the elementary =
principal and she doesn't want to change the recommendation she made, but =
the school board is the one to make the final decision.  At the present =
time this is in the discussion phase and there is another meeting on =
Tuesday. =20

To make this situation even more difficult to justify the position is that =
I have another library aid in the same building who works under a =
government grant on aging.  The school doesn't pay any of her salary (=
wages) and she works four hours a day.  So I have to justify why I need =
the other worker 7 1/2 hours a day.  I am now trying to explain there is a =
division of job responsibilities between the two workers.  The next School =
Board meeting about this will be on Tuesday.  Please wish me luck. =20

 =20
--=20
Kathy Geronzin
District Librarian