Dear Kondra
For a university assignment last month, I wrote a draft policy for our
school website and, after a lot of searching, I found that the very best
site to use as a guide for the sorts of issues that needed to be addressed
was the Queensland (Australia) Department of Education's site at
http://education.qld.gov.au/corporate/publishing/internet/html/guidelines/sc
hools/
which you could adapt to meet your particular circumstances.

In Australia, we do not have local school districts as such, but a
state-based education department and Queensland has to be at the global
forefront of education, so it really has authenticity and credibility.  The
only thing that I would add to what they offer is that the first thing you
do is identify the purpose of your site; it's audience and their needs and
then prioritise those.  Not only does that you give you the rationale for
what should be included (and excluded) it also gives you a pathway of
development and a timeframe.

I can see a very real place for having staff, students and parents involved
in the process insofar as they tell you what they would like to see/be able
to access/ use on the website.  That would give you valuable information and
provide the evidence for the timeline that you establish.

Kia ora
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian