Hi folks.
I know I have probably played right into that writer's hands by taking any
notice of him but in light of threads of advocacy on lists around the world
(again!) he just got under my skin - and I could not make head nor tail of
his 'apology'.  So this is what I posted .......

"Whether you (and the subsequent writer, Ben) intended to offend or not, you
have, and because the library profession is so information and
technologically literate, your article and 'apology' have got right around
the globe, even down here to Canberra, the national capital of Australia.

Perhaps you need to be reminded of who it was at your schools (primary and
secondary) who collected and provided the resources so your teachers could
maximise their delivery of the curriculum; who taught you to be able to do
the research you need to do now so efficiently and effectively, and who, if
you asked them, would point you to the 400s where you could find a
dictionary to determine the meaning of "science".

In Australia, and almost anywhere in the world, most librarians, especially
those in educational institutions have two degrees- one in education and the
other, librarianship, and these are usually at the Masters level.  Many have
doctorates.

That is such a huge investment of personal time and money and energy that
something tells me there must be more to what we do that shelving books!
Remember the definition of an iceberg? You only see the top 5%?

I do hope the librarians at your college do not see your article, because it
would not surprise me if you found out very quickly the variety and depth of
the services we offer, simply because you can no longer access them!"

It is clowns like this who write this garbage and whose 'humour' is so
buried that no one sees it that continue to make it so hard for us to
have/get  the staff, time and dollars to do our job well that I have decided
I am going to rebut their remarks wherever I can.  Holy smoke, one of these
days, the powers-that-be will see that we do not put in the effort just for
ourselves. I'm not pocketing the resource budget for a holiday in the
Bahamas!  As a 50 year old, I have a vested interest in making sure that
when I am an pensioner, those in government are educated enough to be able
to make informed decisions about my welfare.

And now I shall get off my soapbox and go and take even older mothers and
mothers-in-law to the Botanic Gardens for morning tea.

Kia ora
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian