Hello:

A colleague and I are working on a project to encourage and promote
the use of commercial, feature-length films in high school
classrooms.

We are putting together a core collection/filmography of films/videos that can
be used at the high school level for classroom use. Some examples of the types
of films we deem appropriate are the documentary, "Hoop Dreams" and the
historical drama, "Schindler's List", to name a few. What we have in mind is a
guide that is subject-oriented (i.e. History, Science, etc.), progressive, and
specific to high school curricula interests.

Does what we have in mind already exist? So far, the closest thing we have
found to what we are attempting to create ourselves is the web site
http://www.teachwithmovies.org. Although this site is extensive, it focuses
more on how to use films for the ethical and moral development of elementary
or middle school age children, whereas we want to focus on high school
students. Aside from forums for basic film reviews such as those in Voya or
ALA's YALSA website, we have not found a definitive Internet or print source
that is dedicated solely to films and how they can be used to supplement high
school curriculum. There is the FACETS catalog, of course, but that doesn't
have the curriculum links that we'd want to include.

We are writing to see if listserv members know of other print or on-line
selection/acquisition guides to feature-length, commercial film/video
for high school use. Any help you could provide would be most appreciated.

Thank you!
Juliet Kerico - Graduate Assistant <kerico@uiuc.edu>
Art and Architecture Library
U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign