Has anyone else read Joyride? It's a book that I discovered in the fall
that has not been reviewed anywhere as far as I can tell:

Joyride by Amy Ehrlich. Candlewick Press c2001
Nina and her mother live a ragtag life owning no more than they can fit
into their van, moving from place to place across the country. She never
questions her mother's hard decisions about their isolated life style, but
gradually she begins to yearn for a permanent home and friends. Theirs is
an unusual mother-daughter relationship bound up in a terrible secret from
the past. Without passing judgment, Amy Ehrlich gives her characters
resolution but at a painful price.

Perhaps I make it sound too dark, but every adult I've shared it with has
been devastated by the mystery and realism of this story. I have given it
to 8th and 9th grade girls and consider it a book for mature readers.
There is no child abuse, no alcoholism, no drug use, no sex. The sense of
place is rich and engrossing as mother and daughter move from unique
community to unique community.

Here is the publishing history of the book that explains why it has not
been reviewed, I think. It was originally published in 1988 by Norton with
a different title, Where It Stops, Nobody Knows. It is as timely today as
it must have been then. I would like to hear from others who have
experienced this riveting story.

Linda M. Wilson, Library Director, Greenwich Academy, 200 N. Maple AV,
Greenwich, CT 06830 203.552.4403
linda_wilson@greenwichacademy.org
http://mail.greenwichacademy.org/~linda_wilson/libhome.html