Thanks so much for all the wonderful ideas. I got a lot of responses and =
some great ideas!
I finally went with the simplest (because time was short) and simply =
created a PowerPoint presentation that matched the rubric they had been =
given for that assignment. I really wanted to get across to them this =
idea: Content First, Design Later; therefore, I concentrated on the most =
efficient way to get their content into the presentation and then went =
back to show how easy it was to add design features to make the presentatio=
n more visually pleasing. I did NOT go into animation and sound because =
(as one 'netter wisely suggested) I wanted them to understand the concept =
of Power Pointlessness - for this project, sound and animation were not =
useful. I was able to follow the rubric and create a basic slide show in =
about 15 minutes even teaching/explaining as I went along. Below you'll =
find all kinds of great ideas for your own lessons and thanks again to all =
who responded with their helpful suggestions!  Susan

***
I have placed digital movies in my PowerPoint presentations with ONE OF =
THE
KIDS as the person who demonstrates.  Nothing grabs kids better than =
seeing
one of their peers on screen.
I don't use the sound, as I prefer to narrate as it happens
***
Do you have enough computers for students so they can work while you =
teach? =20
If students are doing something it will be less boring.  If you don't, =
why=20
don't you do YOUR presentation using Power Point.  Also, scan a few yucky =
or=20
interesting photos and include them in your Power Point presentation, =
show=20
them once in a while during your lesson...that always seems to perk =
students=20
up even if the pictures don't have anything to do with the total lesson.  =
I=20
use Ranger Rick magazine to do that during morning telecast.

There are several sites on the Internet that have tutorials for Power =
Point. =20
If you don't have time to finish your lesson, you could have a copy of =
the=20
tutorial to give the teacher. You may have to adapt what you find.  I =
used=20
two to do my manual.  I like them because they have pictures and were =
more=20
user friendly.  They are:
http://www.actden.com/pp/  (Power Point in the classroom)
http://einstein.cs.uri.edu/tutorials/csc101/powerpoint/ppt.html=20

There are others you might like better at:
http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=3D%22power+point+tutorials%22&hc=3D0&hs=
=3D0
http://www.microsoft.com/education/tutorial/classroom/ppt97/overview.asp=20=

(Susan says: I went to the actden site and it was VERY helpful!)
***
Since time is so short, what if you had them each make a single
autobiographical slide with a title (their name), a digital photo (import
from network or diskette) and three to five significant facts about
themselves in a bulleted list? That way, they get experience with both
graphics and text formatting -- and we all love to talk about ourselves!
They should write out their facts before coming to the lab. I do this with
second grade, except they write about a famous person whose biography they
have read. Students who finish early can search through the office clipart
to find a graphic or two that represents their facts. After you save the
individual "shows", it's easy to copy and paste them all into a single =
show:
"All about Ms. So-and-So's Fourth Grade."
***
How about making a presentation on a fun book or movie (e.g. Shrek)?  That
would keep the kids' interest and still show them most of the features.
***
I've gone into the room ahead of time and taken a few pictures of the =
class to use on my opening.  They love looking at themselves.  Didn't tell =
them why I took them so they area always pretty interested.  I've also =
started with the Jeopardy Power Point that available free to teachers too
***
Why not create a few slides about the class, just using some of the most
basic features, just to give them a taste of what the program actually =
does.

There is no way they will learn it all in one day, so identify the key
aspects including how they can build on what they know because the =
interface
is so similar to other MS applications. Then, take them thru making a =
simple
slide, having them do it with you but giving them time to experiment and
play with the effects.

If there is time, let them make a slide about themselves too.
***
When I teach PowerPoint to 4th and 5th graders, I do it through poetry.
They are supposed to bring a poem written by them.  I go through the =
process
of showing them how to choose a template, insert text, edit text, insert
pictures and sound, and finally custom animation.  The students enjoy the
process and they have a final product when they finish.  Their poems are
presented to their peers and we have sort of like a poetry cafe.
***
Here's an address of two great tutorials that I have used.
You can download them into your powerPoint and edit or work on=20
them.
www.actden.com
www.soniacoleman.com/Tutorials/tutorials.htm

(Again: the actden site has a wonderful, downloadable manual/tutorial! =
ssg)
***
Maybe scan some pictures or images,  or art work from the students.  Have =
them write or type the dialague, then present the book to the class. =20
***
Site-of-the-School Day -
a daily update to Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators
on Discovery Channel School - http://www.discoveryschool.com/
January 8, 2001

PowerPoint in the Classroom
http://www.actden.com/pp/

...an interesting, fun, 8-part tutorial to help K-12 teachers
incorporate the use of Microsoft's PowerPoint effectively in
the classroom.

The Microsoft in Education website:
http://www.microsoft.com/education/tutorial/default.asp=20
***
I'm introducing our 4th graders to PowerPoint this
week and I tested it out on my own 4th grade daughter.
She seemed to like it.  They will create or begin to
create an All About Me slide show.  The first slide
will be the first template.  The main title will be
for everyone All About Me.  The subtitle will just
have their name.  From there they can experiment with
how they want the text to appear and add any sounds. =20
***
I hope you impress the teacher as well as the students that Power Point
is often Power Pointless when an overly large amount of time is spent on
fonts, size of letters, color etc. etc. as opposed to the content of the
presentation.  Teachers have been known to grade on the glitz of packaging
rather than the soundness and creativity of the content.
(Good suggestion taken to heart; Point well taken! ssg)
***
I have high school kids create a 5 slide presentation:  Introducing (their
name); My Family; My Pets; My Favorite Classes; etc.  Works pretty well =
for
us.
***

Susan K. S. Grigsby, LMS
Virtual Reference Desk Volunteer
Midvale Elementary, DeKalb County, Georgia
skg0577@dcss.dekalb.k12.ga.us

Those who don't understand aren't committed...those who do should be.