>Most of the responses I received back said that this needs to come from
administration.  They need to be
>using email for all their communication with staff.  No more paper copies
of anything.

This is great in theory but there are some considerations, many of which I
addressed in a paper for a uni assignment in January. Our education
department now relies on digital communication for all information but there
were enough problems that I decided to address these in my paper.
Identifying the issues goes a long way towards solving them!  It also
provides feedback to those who make the policies who don't always know that
not all staff have the access and ability they assume they do.

The key issues are
1. ALL staff must have easy and timely access to a system computer where
they can download the mail - it cannot be assumed or required that they use
a home-based machine or have Internet access from home
2. The email system MUST be reliable so all staff can access their messages,
and if there is a glitch, technical support to fix it must be readily
available
3. ALL staff must have appropriate professional development to ensure they
have the knowledge and skills to receive and send emails
4. There needs to be some backup where staff can access the content of the
communications in the even of slow or no Internet access.
5. There needs to be appropriate channels of communication set up and known
so those who are responsible for disseminating information know their
responsibilities and how to do these
It all comes under the banner of "equity of access"

Kia ora
Barbara

That said, our education department
Barbara Braxton