>Their question: Starting number______ Stopping number_____
>My question: Can I just say 0 to 10,000, or is there more to this?

YOUR RESPONSES:

The beginning and ending number refers to the barcode you want to start and=
 end with so that you don't duplicate barcodes with your book order.  You n=
eed to see which number you left off with and decide on a field of numbers.=
  When you decide that you might want to write it down so you can refer to =
it the next time you need to assign barcode numbers.=20=20
As for starting number if it's the first time you've ordered from this
company just choose an empty range. For instance I used to have a Follett a=
ccount that I set at 60000. They began with 60000. The next time I ordered,=
 they had that on file and would continue using the range from 16237 or whe=
rever we left off. If you're going to use the company frequently it's easy =
just to set up a range and keep it open for them. If not, just be sure you'=
re giving them barcodes not in use and ones you will keep open for them.
Start with a 4-digit number.  I've had trouble getting my scanner to=20
properly read smaller numbers.
If you already have some barcodes you are using, just photocopy a page,=20
fax it to them and tell them "I want barcodes like this."  You WILL need to=
 assign them a group of numbers that you are not using for any other vendor.
Your library might have been automated with 100-10,000 to begin with, then =
you could assign Demco a range that was well away from that...such as 20,00=
0 to 21,000.
Starting barcode can be anywhere.  If you have never used barcodes
before, start at 1 if you like.  If you have EVER used barcodes before,
MAKE SURE, that you don't repeat those numbers in your range.
You want to give them a range of numbers which you will then NEVER use
for anything else.  I have a list set up so that when I deal with
different companies I can be sure that I never confuse two number ranges an=
d overlap.
In our barcodes (codabar mod 10) the first digit is for patron (2) or
item (3), the next 4 digits are the district code (assigned by Dynix, but a=
gain, you should ask your software supplier), the next 8 digits are sequent=
ial item numbers (start with 00000001, not with 00000000), and the final di=
git is the check digit. Unless you're math inclined, don't bother learning =
the algorithm to calculate that check digit -- the barcode people will figu=
re it out.
My naterial bar codes
start at 10000 and go up.  If I delete an item, I do not reuse the bar
code.  The only thing you need to know is the pnone number for customer
service.  You explain what you are doing and they will give you the info to=
 make it work.  In many of the manuals, there is a page in the back which h=
as this info,  I used to send a copy of that page to make sure I gave the c=
ompany the right info.
Estimate how many barcodes you might want to use for students.  Then, start=
 there.  For a high school of 1,000 probably start at 100000 for these reas=
ons:  you will have extra barcodes and will not have to reorder for quite s=
ome time. You want patrons to have barcodes that are different from your bo=
oks.  If there is more than one school in your county it is wise to conside=
r that at some time in this century the libraries may be networked. To iden=
tify your resourses separately from another school's in a wide area network=
, consider assigning each school a two digit number.  For example, my numbe=
r is 22.  If I ordered barcodes beginning with 10000, my number would be 22=
10001 and my ending number would be 2240000.  I now would have 30,000 barco=
des.  You may not want this many barcodes.  Consider your collection size. =
 If you have 20,000 boooks you may want to get 30, 000 barcdoes.  If you ha=
ve 7,000 books you may want to get 10,000.  You just get more so you do not=
 have to keep reordering.=20

Karisa Hayward, Librarian
EskDale High School
EskDale, Utah
Daisy@goducks.com

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?