This is the email dialogue I had with a rep from LibraryCom.com, just in case there
are others using this system with questions similar to mine.

LIBRARYCOM.COM (In response to my initial message to LM_NET):
Go with code 39 labels, no check digits. Number of digits is not
particularly important, we suggest 6 to 8 digits.  For example you may go with a
series of labels 00000001 - 00004000 (four thousand labels).

ME:
With regards to the check digits, do you mean that I can't use them with your
system, or that they are not necessary?  Many librarians have suggested that I
should use a check digit, so I am inclined to follow their advice, unless that will
cause problems with LibraryCom

LIBRARYCOM.COM:
With LibraryCom check digits are not an option.  We have thousands of users using
the code 39 symbology very successfully.  No problem.

>Last question: Is there anything else I should know??

YOUR RESPONSES:

When you order bar codes from Demco, you will be getting "dumb" bar
codes.  That is, just the lines and number.  If you have a laser printer most OPAC
programs (again you'll have to check with your vendor) will allow you to print
"smart" bar code labels--which include the title and author of the book and call
number, in addition to the bar code stuff.
The answer to a number of your questions is "it depends".  That's what
makes this hard to answer.  My advise is to think as far into the future as you
can.  Is there any remote chance that your library could ever be connected with
another library for resource sharing, or union catalog?  If so, then you want to
carefully consider your choices so you don't have to do work over.

Why do it as above?  Well, I have just gone through getting the 140
school libraries in our district on to a union catalog.  We had all
kinds of barcodes from 4 digit to 14, code 2 of 5 to code 3 of 9, some
with location code, some without, some with letter codes, some with
number location codes.  Boy, was it not fun.  We are now standardizing.

But, guess what, some people get to rebarcode their entire collections.

So, try to make decisions now that you won't have to do over later.
None of the above is important if you never switch systems, join a Union catalog,
or grow much in size.  But, the trend for libraries dictates otherwise.
Get photo-composed bar codes, not laser printed ones. The latter will
lose their integrity (get scratches etc) and become unreadable.
I put barcodes on all books in the two libraries first, then began the
process of entering all the books into the system before we began using
it.
It didn't take long to put labels on all the books, but it took a long time to
enter all the books into the system.
An alternative method is to make two sets of barcode labels. Put one label on the
book and one on the shelf list and then send off the shelf list to a company that
will create Marc records for you. After the records come back, all you do is enter
the Marc records into your program and you are ready to go.
By the way, you can purchase a barcode scanner rather cheaply--about $129 through
Microwarehouse. You can use the barcode scanner with any
program--for example, you can hook it up to your computer and use it with an Excel
spreadsheet. You can create bar code labels with a $10 label maker program from
Office Depot or Staples. Then you can practice automate your library. Create labels
and label all of your books. When a student comes in to check out a book, type in
his/her name in the spreadsheet. Beside the name, type the title and scan the
barcode. Save the record. When the student returns the book, do a find, scan the
barcode again and the program locates the record so you can erase it. You can
operate this way temporarily until you have an automation system up and running.
The barcode scanner will work with the new system, too. The barcode labels should
work if you check with the program ahead of time to ensure that it reads 3 of 9
symbology (or
whatever symbology you choose to use--the software will create many types).
Again, it helps if you go ahead and barcode your books and then you will
have some idea of how you want future purchases to run so when you place
orders you can give the vendors the necessary information. Try getting the $10
labelmaker software from an office supply store and creating some practice barcode
labels. You might even put them on books you are weeding or something, in case you
change your mind about how you are going to set up your system. Also, visit some
other libraries and study how their titles are barcoded to get ideas.
One thing I have learned about bar codes is when you cover them with a
label protector, make sure it is thin enough so that the bar code reader can scan
it.  1 ml-1.5 ml has always worked for me.  Regular label protectors can be too
thick.
it helps if you establish a system ahead of time for your barcode numbering. For
example, I used five digit numbers for items and six digit numbers for patrons.
Some people use 10 digit numbers for patrons with the 10 digits being the social
security number or county ID number. Hold off on the first 100 barcodes or so and
reserve them for special purposes such as books checked out as lost, guest
patrons, etc. Then, keep accurate records of the barcodes issued.
I found that a system of the first digit for the vendor worked well. For example,
books purchased from Baker and Taylor began with 3, Follett-4, Econoclad-5, Bound
to Stay Bound-6, and so on. Patron barcodes all began with 2. This way, we were
unlikely to run out of barcodes and they would not get mixed up.
Ask your software vendor  if your circulaiton check-out check-in reader and your
software will accept and correctly use letters.  I use P10001 for patrons and
T10001 for all media barcoding.  This is helpful.  Follett is a great resource and
I am sure they will give you a "quick" course on the phone if you need it. They
will hope to sell to you!  First, you should call your software vendor. If they are
not helpful, you should remind them of the money you spend and tell them it will be
spent with a vendor who is helpful and has a good product.

If I can answer other questions, I will be happy to do so.
I do such things as label videos so they will all print out separately from books,
cd-roms, etc.  For example, VCT 822.3 SHA is the label I put on the video and put
in the card catalogue for a video on Shakespeare.  Teachers love being able to have
all the video collection for their subject in their hands as a printout.  They will
think you are great and wonderful :)
With automation, things got even trickier, as you're discovering. Barcodes are VERY
confusing. Your automation program should give you the information. Once you get it
from them, make sure you write it down in a notebook that you keep with all this
important info. Also, write in inside your ordering folder (or however you are
organizing your book orders).

Here's what I did when I set up my new library four years ago. Using a
spreadsheet, make a list of barcode ranges THAT DO NOT INTERFERE WITH YOUR PATRON
RANGE. For example, if your community has 3,000 people,
set aside the first 10,000 (or 20,000) barcode numbers for patrons. (Read your
automation handbook for more info). DO NOT run your patron barcodes interspersed
with your material (books, etc.)barcodes. No matter WHAT a sales rep tells you,
DON'T do that, or give the same number to a patron and a book (some used to tell
you to do this, but then you have to enter a "P" for patron every time before the
barcode - DON'T do this!).

In your page set-up: Set page layout to Landscape (so page will print out wide).
Set your row height tall enough for writing by hand in (try 20 or 25pt.).

In the top left hand corner row space, type "Barcode Ranges." In the next space to
the right, type "Vendor", in the next space to the right, type "Date", in the next
space to the right, "From - To". Repeat the "Date" and "From - To" again until you
run out of room across the top. (make the columns wide enough for the words plus a
little more). Now using the border maker, create borders for each column and row
(Do about 20 rows).

Now, skip down one full row and start in the column under "Vendors." Going
downward, list all the vendors (one vendor per row) you will be ordering materials
from that will be barcoded. (Don't list your furniture vendor, etc.) Try to do it
in alphabetical order by the vendor (or publisher). If you're not sure who you'll
be dealing with, list the ones you're most likely to work with within the next
three years.

If you wish, you could leave a blank row between each entry, but it's not
necessary. After your last vendor, add a listing as "Donations" - this would be for
all your current books and future donations of books. Now, go back and assign each
vendor a barcode range and list it in the first column going down.

For example, say you set aside 20,000 for patrons, and your first vendor is
Applebee's, a small specialty publishing company. Set aside 1,000 barcodes. In the
barcode range, type 20,001 - 21,000.

The next vendor is Follett, a vendor you expect to use frequently for large orders.
Over five years, you will probably order 7 to 8 thousand books.  Set aside 10,000
barcodes. Enter 21,001 - 31,000.

Always start the range with an 01 number. If you start with an 00 number, it will
be confusing because you will order (for example) 25 books, and the first book
barcode will end in 00, so your 25th book barcode will end in 24. (Trust me on
this, it can get confusing).

Continue with your vendors. Don't worry about setting aside too many
barcodes - think in terms of five years potential. You can always go back and work
a small vendor in by cutting back on another vendor's unused range. (You could take
Follett's unused 29,001-31,000 and assign it to a new small vendor).

BE SURE YOU SAVE THIS DOCUMENT IN YOUR COMPUTER!

Continue until you have all your vendors listed with their ranges. Give
your donations range a sizable chunk. Consider what you already have
(5,000?) that you will need barcodes for and then estimate for the next
five years. You might want to set aside 10 or even 20 thousand.

Don't forget to set aside ranges for videos, magazines, cd's, etc. I like to keep
these separate from the books. (if you are getting a mixed order from a vendor,
find out if you can break the order into smaller orders, with books in one range,
cd's in another, and videos in another, etc.)

This makes it very easy to keep an eye on how many items you have in each category.

Now, SAVE again, and print out. You can now write in what your Applebee
order will be under the first "From - To" column. For example, date is
Oct.2001, From - To is 20,001 - 20,029 because you are ordering 29 books.
The next order to Applebee's will start with 20,030 UNLESS Applebee's does not fill
your first order completely. Say they only sent 27 books with no back order. Then
you would correct the first column to 20,001 - 20,027, and the next order would
start with 20,028. Got it?

Keep this printed page in your ordering notebook or file, and after you
receive an order, be sure to update your printed sheet and your electronic file as
well.  Each time BEFORE YOU PLACE AN ORDER check and make sure that the barcodes
are available, both on your list, and check your computer data. Look for books in
the data range 20,028 - 20,099, for example, to be sure you haven't forgotten to
record an order, or a mistake wasn't made somewhere.

Hope this helps - it sure kept me organized!

Karisa Hayward, Librarian
EskDale High School
EskDale, Utah
Daisy@goducks.com

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?