On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Gail Smith wrote:

> on 3/15/02 5:01 PM, Carol Kotsch at FJCL1@AOL.COM wrote:
>

> > I went ahead and contacted Renassanice Learning and they emphatically said it
> > would be a copyright violation to share teacher/volunteer-made tests with
> > other schools.  Sigh.
> >
> While I can understand that Renaissance Learning would want to discourage
> people from sharing tests that they made, whether giving or selling, I
> wonder how it could actually be a copyright violation.  The program itself
> is their intellectual property, but since it comes with the capability to
> add other tests, they cannot prohibit that.  Since they had nothing to do
> with the volunteer-made tests, they cannot claim any ownership of that
> intellectual property. Why would it violate copyright to use a built in
> feature of the program to load tests that you have purchased from or been
> given by the person who made them, even if unaffiliated with Renaissance
> Learning?  Obviously, it would be easiest to get them in digital form, but
> surely Renaissance Learning could not prohibit sharing in print format that
> you could then enter yourself????

These were my thoughts. I would not accept RL's word as the last word
on this issue but would investigate further.

J. Rathbun, Librarian                  | "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mojave High School                     |  but I'm not the only one..."
Clark County School District           |
Las Vegas, Nevada                      |            John Lennon
Email: jrathbun@orednet.org            |