Dear all,
Here is a hit to the question I posed about how to accurately pinpoint a
reference in a website. I didn't really mean how do you cite a website in a
bibliography and so I have not included the replies that had information on
how to do that in the hit. Here are some of the answers I received:
1.
Since you can not be really sure that you can find a
website again at the same place, I think one thing to
do is to print it out and treat it like printed
sources, besides giving the URL, the title and the
date when you last read it (students must also be
taught how to search a certain part of the text on one
long web page).

If people are interested in the whole content maybe
they can contact you and ask for a copy, if the web
site has disappeared. What do you think?

2.
I suggested
students use just the first part of the address as to
the first period or /  In my schools in Toronto, we
only did internal citations in which you only use the
author's last name, date and pg. #.  Thus by using
only the first part of the address, you are doing the
same as using only the author's last name.  The reader
can get the whole address in the bibliography just as
he cuold get the whole name in the bibliography.
If two or more addresses started out the same, just
continue to the point where they are different.  Just
as if two authors had the same last name; you would
only use the author's first initial to show the
difference.
Hope this will help you.
Am not sure if APA or MLA has a rule or not.

3.
An interesting problem. If you were using Netscape as your browser you could
find out the page the quote was on by looking at the Print Preview option
found under File on the tool bar. However Internet explorer does not have
this option, so this is only part of the answer.

4.
I have never seen any convention for doing this,
however the "find" command should make it fairly easy
to locate a particular piece of text in a long etext
so I can't see that it is really neccessary. It is
usually hard enough to get the information that is
required for a website citation. There are far to many
that don't give an author or date of last update.

5.
I have a page with a bibliography and a web page as an example. I don't
think you can cite it any better than it is presented. It is not your fault
if the site isn't separated enough. My example is at
http://www.knowledgecollegetutors.com/bib.htm
<http://www.knowledgecollegetutors.com/bib.htm>

6.
Many sources have extremely long URLs and there is no hope of getting back
that information by typing that URL even if you typed it all correctly.  It
depends on the original source of the information and how you got to that
piece of information.

I've come to the conclusion that the Internet isn't always a very reliable
source to use even when you have correct documentation!  (But we really all
knew that anyway, didn't we?)

7.
I really have no idea.  The only thing I can think of is to would be for the
researcher to print out the webpage and number the paragraphs.  They would
then be able to footnote the paragraphs by number.  It definitely points to
how essential it is for researchers to print the pages as they are the day
of their research.  The author could add and subtract paragraphs at will -
making nonsense of paragraph citation.  It really makes you wish for some
kind of a governing body for the internet for research purposes doesn't it?
Just so the web authors would have to follow some sort of protocol.

8.
The size of the site doesn't really matter. Each page, while possibly long,
has its own unique address. If a direct quote is taken from the page, it
will be easier to find than in a book since one can simply do a "find" to
locate the words.

Sally Jeans
Librarian, International Section
French International School