Games on computers are not necessarily bad things.  Students playing games on
computers aren't necessarily a problem.  You have to consider this most important
aspect:  do you have computers sitting there, and no one using them?  If you do,
games are good because students will be reading, planning, strategizing, writing,
using computers, etc.  If, however, there are people waiting day-in-and-day out, to
get to the library computers to type reports and do research, then games won't even
come up for discussion.
    Please do everything you can to avoid to posting signs that say "no games,"
"no" anything.  The library is all about "yes" "try it," "share," and "come on in."
    If you don't have a rule about no games or other computer activities, then you,
the librarian, don't have to police the computers.  Your school's AUP already
covers all the main issues, and your school's filter probably takes away 99% of the
problems before they arrive in your library.  Policing the computers should be no
harder than policing the human anatomy chapters in the science section or the nudes
in the art books.
    Just let the students use the library materials and equipment in the library
for their individual needs as along as they obey the larger rules of the school.
If game players start crowding out scholars who need the computers, I hope you'll
discover as I have, that a simple quiet request ("I have someone here who needs a
computer for an assignment") will result in a couple of students responding
immediately to relinquish their seats.  (That's a good time to quietly slip a
little Snicker to the student who gave up his game.)  The students know they will
be in the scholar's shoes some day, and they know that this system will work if
they don't irritate you with it.  Students know a good thing when they have it, and
we hope that they think the library is one of the goodest things of all.
---
Donna Cook, Nacogdoches, Texas :
Teacher Librarian Central High;
District Coordinator, Central ISD;
Library Consultant, Douglass ISD;
"Minister of Information" First Baptist Church.
donnacook@lycos.com
936-853-9345 (work)
936-569-2426 (home)

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:22:37
 Jeannie Ammon wrote:
>Dear Fellow Librarians,
>        I have been having a problem with students wanting to play games on
>the library computers.  I have considered allowing educational games like
>coolmath.  But I am concerned that will create more problems than it will
>solve.  My questions are:  Do you allow games? If you do, do you allow
>educational games? or Do you allow no games at all on library computers?
>Jeannie Ammon, Librarian
>G.W. Feaser Middle School Library
>Middletown, PA 17057
>jammon@middletownschools.com
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
>All postings to LM_NET are protected under copyright law.
>To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST, etc.) send email to:
>listserv@listserv.syr.edu   In the message write EITHER:
>1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL or 3) SET LM_NET DIGEST
>4) SET LM_NET MAIL  * Please allow for confirmation from Listserv.
>For LM_NET Help see: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/
>Archives: http://askeric.org/Virtual/Listserv_Archives/LM_NET.shtml
> See also EL-Announce for announcements from library media vendors:
>    http://www.mindspring.com/~el-announce/

2,000,000,000 Web Pages--you only need 1. Save time with My Lycos.
http://my.lycos.com