Dear Netters,
I would really appreciate your advice or any information on the dilemma I am
facing.
I am a recent master's graduate (Masters in the Art of Teaching) with
Certification k-6, my undergraduate degree is in Information Science.  There
was an ad in our local paper for a full time position as a Librarian for my
daughters school district. Having a computer background and being really
eager to teach I applied and was hired for the position.
I now know how naive and fool hardy this was on my part. I am the librarian
for two elementary school with 700 students k-6. To make a long story short I
pretty much made every mistake a first year teacher can make. This is
especially true as far as the classroom teachers are concerned.
On December 11th my principles asked to meet with me. They then proceeded to
tell me that it was obvious to them that I have no people skills, as none of
the teachers nor my aides like me at all! During the meeting I was told that
they would write a letter to review my problem areas and that each of them,
during the month of January would being observing me and would provide me
with feedback on my weaknesses.

There are now only 50 more days of school left and neither one of them has
ever come into the library to observe me nor have they ever provided me with
a letter to recap the meeting. Foolish me when neither of these things
occurred I thought things were going better and they didn't think it was
necessary.
I have just found out through the school grape vine that I will not be
returning in the fall which is I guess somewhat understandable -- but what
has me upset is the fact that I was also informed that they plan on rating my
performance for the year with Harrisburg as unsatisfactory.!!!!!

Does this rating mean that I will no longer be able to teach in a classroom?
Is there any recourse available to me to contest this rating?

Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

Nora Cauley
Riverview School District Elementary Librarian
Oakmont, PA 15139

nlcauley@aol.com