Greetings form snowy Cherry Valley,

LM-Netters have once again come to the rescue!  A huge thank you to all who
responded to my PC to TV predicament.  I recently posted the following
query:

"Can any one recommend a reliable TV to PC converter that produces a clear
display of a computer screen on a television?  We have an inexpensive model
(less than $100)that only produces a pristine picture when zoomed in.  A
full screen shot has poor resolution (even after folowing the manufacturer's
troubleshooting steps and changing monitor resolution, televisions and
computers!)"

I received many responses which are included below.  I also checked the
archives as suggested, I guess the feeling is you get what you pay for...

"I highly recommend the Earthscan XGA to TV cables.  I have half a dozen,
and they're SO easy.  One plug to the computer, one to the tv - of course
you MUST have the S-type connection on your TV.  For those Tvs that don't
have the S, we use the AverKey 3 converters.  They work but are a hassle to
set up, and picture quality is spotty."

"We use the A-Tech boxes that do a fairly good job."

"Check the archives. This has been discussed several times in the past.  I
used the info to buy an Arkay 500 Gold VGA converter with S video
connections for a 50 inch Sony  TV connection,"

"We have purchased NETTV and are very happy with it."

Generally it is the nature of the beast.  The more resolution you have, the
better it will be but a TV can only do so much.  That is why our district
spent  a lot of money for true data monitors so we could get a clear view of
Internet sites and such."

"I use an AverKey in the library and have an AI-Tech converter in my
adjacent computer lab.  Neither is what you would could call VERY sharp, but
I think the AI-Tech is a little better.  They are both in about the same
price range $100-150."

"TVators are great!"

"Don't bother with TVators, the picture quality is poor."

"Save your money Maria, and buy one of these: either a scanner tv or a data
projector.  The scanner tv has a card in that converts the tv to a computer
monitor by just running a cord to your computer.   It works just great.
You'll need to buy a new tv.  That won't be a waste, since someone else can
use your old tv, and you'll get perfect computer screens.  However, the best
is a data projector that will project the computer screen to a big white
screen or wall.  They cost about $3000, but they are WONDERFUL.  First we
bought the AverKey (PC to TV converter).  Then we didn't like its
reproduction quality.  Then we bought the scanner TV.  And we loved the way
it projected the computer screen so that most of the kids in the class could
see what was happening on the screen.  Then we wanted a bigger image--like
5' by 5' so the whole class could see all the details.  So we bought a data
projector.  It is used constantly by teachers.  The AverKey is never
touched, and the scanner tv just plays videos."

Thanks All!
Maria

Maria Johnson, LMS

Cherry Valley-Springfield Central School

Cherry Valley, NY

mariamanzanojohnson@hotmail.com