Hi Folks,

Just as things seemed to quite down on the Porn-napping scene, another
situation rears its ugly head.  This one isn't trying to capture your
eyeballs.  It's trying to reach into your wallet. If you have registered a
domain name, this message may prevent you from being ripped off.

It all comes back to Information Literacy and evaluating the information
that comes your way.  Here's what's happening...

The largest domain name registrar is VeriSign.  They sell a wide range of
names in the .com, .net, .org, and other dots.  They sell registrations to
individuals for $29 a year (just dropped down from $35).   However, you can
register domain names much cheaper through other registrars such as
GoDaddy.com ($8.95 a year) or NamesDirect.com ($14.95 a year).  These new
companies have bitten into what used to be a VeriSign monopoly and
VersiSign isn't happy about it.

Specifically, here's what's happening.  VeriSign is sending out deceptive
email and snail mail in an effort to get folks to renew registrations with
them.  For example, people who purchased domains through GoDaddy at $8.95
are getting a mailing from Versign letting them know that their domain name
will expire soon and asking them to renew, when it fact they are asking you
to do TWO things, neither of which is clear in the mailing.  If you fill
out the form, you will be TRANSFERRING the registration from GoDaddy to
VeriSign and paying $29.00 instead of $8.95.  Here is a copy of the
deceptive letter from
VeriSign.  http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/private_vsrn.asp?display=letter

Looking at this from an Information Literacy perspective, I can't help but
wonder how many people will actually end up pay 300% more for 0% more in
the way of service.

That's just one deceptive practice by VeriSign.  Here's another that just
happened to me.  I registered wolinsky.net about two years ago through
MyDomain.com.  Believe it or not, at that time it was free.  MyDomain
actually paid for it and registered it through VeriSign.  So technically
VeriSign is the registrar and MyDomain is the middle man.

At the end of two years (coming in May), if I want to keep it I will have
to pay for it.  MyDomain works with NamesDirect and I would have to pay
$14.95 a year to NamesDirect.  Now if I want be thrifty, I could transfer
my registration to GoDaddy for $8.95, but it would mean making other
changes that would cost me more time than the extra $6 a year.  So I intend
to stay and pay the $14.95, but not if VeriSign has anything to say about it!

Over a month ago I got a message from VeriSign telling me that my domain
name would expire and asking me to renew at $29 a year.  I ignored it.  A
few minutes ago I got an email INVOICE from them letting me know that my
wolinsky.net is about to expire and I can renew for the amount due, a mere
$58.

First of all, the $58 invoice is for a two-year renewal.  I don't have to
renew for two years.  It is my right to renew for one year, but no where on
their mailing is that an option or even mentioned of that.  Heck, the $58
isn't even a savings over their one year rate of $29.  So VeriSign is
trying to get me to spend more and in return I get absolutely nothing more
in the way of value or service.  On top of that, they are trying to get me
to double their rip off by subscribing for two years instead of one.

You may be wondering how this can happen.  ICANN answer that.  ;->

ICANN is the ruling body of Internet that is charged with safeguarding the
domain name structure.  Most people know little about ICANN, but recently
they have been under constant fire.  Some adjectives that are used are
inept, ineffective, corrupt and self-serving.  It is ICANN who
categorically rejected the notion of giving equal treatment to individuals
as opposed to speculators, and that in effect facilitated the porn-napping
problem we are having.  It is ICANN who sets the rules for the registrars
and the way they do business.  Oh, did I neglect to mention that the
registrars play a major role in ICANN?  If you remember, early in this
message I mentioned that VeriSign is the largest registrar.  Are we
beginning to see a problem?

So, what can you and I do about this.  Well I've already written to my
representatives about changing ICANN.  I also have domains registered at
VeriSign, GoDaddy, and NamesDirect  Very shortly, that list is going to
shortened by one.  Can you guess which one?

Take care,
Art

  Art Wolinsky
  OII Technology Director      Big6 Associate
  http://oii.org                      http://www.big6.com
  awolinsky@oii.org             Web-and-Flow Team
  (609) 597-9481 ext
337      http://www.web-and-flow.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
I will surely learn a great deal today.