Dear Lm-Netters,
I have received my ballot for ALSC positions and would like to advocate =
for an individual for the Caldecott Committee. Ellen Loughran is not one =
to be tooting her own horn as one can see by her very short and incomplete =
bio on the ballot.  I will do it for her.  First and foremost Ellen =
Loughran is an advocate for children's services. As the former manager of =
children's services of Brooklyn Public Library she recruited me from the =
corporate world into librarianship and I never looked back. She is =
incredibly well-read and encourages, shares and promotes excellence in =
children's literature. As a member of the Children's Book Committee at =
Bank Street College she has access to all the children's books published =
during the year. She has served on many committees too numerous to count =
but as recently as last year put together the children's services section =
of workshops for the New York State Library Association. (she can be very =
persuasive in encouraging other librarians to pitch in, yes, I did go to =
Albany to lead one)  Most recently she was one of the four judges for Nick =
Jr. magazine's best books for children list. Ellen is a standing member of =
the committee which selects the preliminary list of thirty from around two =
hundred picture books for the Irma Black Award. The finalists are used in =
classrooms all around the country. Ellen presents a yearly workshop for =
the New York City School Librarians meeting as well as one at the Early =
Childhood Center of New York Public Library for care givers of young =
children. Did I mention that Ellen Loughran is also my substitute here at =
the Bank Street School for Children?  ( pre-k through eighth grade) When I =
returned the kids were disappointed that the other librarian was gone. =
Ellen Loughran wrote this summer's New York State Summer Reading Manual =
and has been a contributor to previous editions. She also reviews for =
Kirkus. Although Ellen has served on other ALSC committees she has never =
served on an awards committee and  she really deserves to. I hope you will =
vote for Ellen Loughran for the Caldecott committee.
Thank you Lisa

Lisa Von Drasek, MLIS
Children's Librarian
Bank Street College of Education