Several requested a HIT so here are the responses (my original request
at the end).  Thanks to all who responded.

Try these.  I was sent them by the instructor of a grant writing course
Orientation to Grantseeking -
http://fdncenter.org/learn/orient/intro1.html"
\t "_blank

Guide to Funding Research - http://fdncenter.org/learn/ufg/index.html

Proposal Writing Short Course -
http://fdncenter.org/learn/shortcourse/prop1.html

Demystifying the 990-PF -
http://fdncenter.org/learn/demystify/index.html"
\t
"_blank

FC Search Guided Tour -
http://fdncenter.org/learn/classroom/fcsearch_tour/index.html" \t
"_blank

Foundation Grants to Individuals Guided Tour -
http://fdncenter.org/learn/classroom/fgti_tour/index.html" \t "_blank

LNPS Online Guided Tour -
http://fdncenter.org/research/lnps/tour/lnps01.html" \t "_blank

Grant Makers:

Enterprise Foundation (www.enterprisefoundation.org) Assists
community-based
nonprofit organizations and state and local governments in funding and
developing affordable housing and community services.

Ben & Jerry's  Foundation  (www.benjerry.com/foundation/index.html)

The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation  (www.macfdn.org)

Bell Atlantic Foundation Grant-making
(www.bellatlanticfoundation.com/about.htm)

Hewlett Packard Philanthropy   (http://webcenter.hp.com/grants/)

IBM Philanthropy Program (www.ibm.com/IBM/IBMGives/)

Global Fund For Women Homepage
(www.npguides.org/www.globalfundforwomen.org)

EPA Grants Information Grants available from the U.S Department of
Environmental Protection Grants. Includes funding opportunities, current

RFP's and how to apply.  (www.epa.gov/ogd/grants.htm)

Clearinghouses & Directories:

Public:

Federal Register (www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/aces/aces140.html)The
federal
information, and publication, clearinghouse.

FEDIX/MOLIX (www.rams-fie.com/) Another federal information
clearinghouse;
will do the searches for you and email results.

FedWorld Information Network (www.fedworld.gov/) Still another Federal
information clearinghouse.

Information on Government & Private Funding
(www.house.gov/pelosi/crs1036.htm) Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi's Grant
Information Home Page.

Office of Minority Health Resource Center Funding Database
(www.omhrc.gov/qfunding.htm)  database lists private and public
foundations;
pharmaceutical and insurance organizations; journal articles,
directories,
books; fellowship, scholarship and internships; and federal state and
community resources.

Library of Congress (http://lcweb.loc.gov/homepage/lchp.html)  A good
research resource.

The foundation center is a good place to start fdncenter.org and even
better
(and less intimidating )  is a hard copy of the foundation directory
(available in most large or university libraries).  Another good site is

ed.gov, the department of education site.  Good luck

Hi,
Have her check out http://www.foundationcenter.org/
This is a nonprofit organization that is great for grantors and
grantees.  I
did a project last year and found that most grants have geographic
restrictions.  She can limit her search for your state and see what
pulls up.

Dollar General has grants available relating to Literacy. You can access
it
on their website. They have deadlines 4 times a year.
Hope this helps.

Hi
I like a site I found called schoolgrants.org
The grants are broken down by regions.  With deadlines
or without deadlines.  You can find anything in your
area.

I have receive 2 grants personally from the Dollar
General Store web site.  I found it on
schoolgrants.org.
You apply online.  No forms to fill out so it is very
easy.  They have 4 cycles each year.  March 5th was
the last one, so I guess June 5th is probably the next
cycle deadline.  They are very dedicated to reading
literacy.

I like (http://www.schoolgrants.org).  It is usually loaded with
opportunities.

Sarah,

This is not a sales pitch.  It is a response to your posting on LM NET.
(See attached file: ESEA Funding by State.xls)  (See attached file:
bigchalk Solutions to Support ESEA.xls)

Attached is the link for you to use if you need to access your state(s)'

standards.  Bookmark it for your use.  Of course, I will continue to
provide you with information about standards and bigchalk products
correlations when appropriate.  However, you may want to some personal
research as well.

I.  EASE THE TRANSITION TO STANDARD-BASED TEACHING

This web site, launched in August 1995 by Putnam Valley School District
in
upstate New York, is now maintained by nearby Wappingers Central School
District. Given the increased emphasis on standards-based education in
the
newly reauthorized Elementary and Secondary Education Act, the site is a

timely resource for information about each state's standards,
frameworks,
benchmarks, assessments, and the pros and cons of all of them. The
site's
operators have established this web page as a single, one-source
repository
for as much information about educational standards and curriculum
frameworks as can be found on the web. Users can search for information
on
standards in all 50 states or by subject area, ranging from art and
music,
to science, to library media and technology, to social studies and
language
arts.

http://edStandards.org/Standards.html

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Del Wisehart
Account Executive/Library Resources-New York
bigchalk
1000 Chesterbrook Blvd., suite 111
Berwyn, PA 19312
800-860-9228 extension 5109
del_wisehart@bigchalk.com
Resource Support/Information at:   www.bigchalk.com/bc/pic
Technical Support  800-247-7198 (Best in the Industry)

    ESEA Funding by State.xls

                              Name:
                                     ESEA Funding by State.xls
                               Type:
                                     application/x-excel
(application/x-excel)
                           Encoding:
                                     base64

    bigchalk Solutions to Support ESEA.xls

                                        Name:
                                               bigchalk Solutions to
Support
                                               ESEA.xls
                                         Type:
                                               application/x-excel
(application/x-excel)
                                     Encoding:
                                               base64

Here's a site that was recommended when I was looking for one;
http://www.oryxpress.com/miner.htm
This article is rather long, but it does a great job explaining the
step-by-step process of grant writing.  It also provides links to help
with the process.
http://mel.lib.mi.us//reference/REF-grants.html
Major resource for grants

Here is the original post:

Hello all-

One of our teachers needs to come up with some good grants to apply for
- related to reading.  She has done a general serch on google (literacy
grants) and came up with many, many possibilities - too many to narrow
down easily.  Does anyone have a favorite website that offers
possibilities for grant-writing?  I haven't written any grants and I
don't know how to direct her.  (We are an elementary school.)

Thanks in advance.

Sarah Woo
woo@simmons.edu
SLMS student