On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Barbara Braxton wrote:

> So instead of looking for a free alternative, perhaps we should accept that
> as with nearly everything else, this site should be user-pays and the cost
> of the sub become an integral part of our annual budgets.

I don't have a problem paying for a quality service that we need.
And Noodlebib might someday be on our list. But right now, we wouldn't
see enough use at my school to justify the $300. I was just now in
the process of introducing staff to the service. Then we have to
wrestle with the fact that the majority of our students don't have
internet access (for various reasons). My plan was to build interest
in such a service... while also working on the access problems.

So for now I shall introduce teachers to the alternatives. When/if
the time comes, we shall look at all and choose one for our $.

It may very well be Noodlebib. And at least -- at this particular
moment in time -- I know that when the time comes I can probably
swing it. But the total budget for my previous h.s. library (serving
750 students) was less than $2000. The "alternatives" would have
been my only choice there. I doubt that library is the only one
in that same sinking ship of a boat so for them, the "alternatives"
continue to be important.

J. Rathbun, Librarian                  | "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mojave High School                     |  but I'm not the only one..."
Clark County School District           |
Las Vegas, Nevada                      |            John Lennon
Email: jrathbun@orednet.org            |