Thank you SO much to everyone who responded with titles for my 8th grade
girls!  For those that didn't see my original posting, I have a large
group of 8th grade girls who really like to read about VERY hard-edged
girls in crisis: the gang member girlfriends, girls that have been abused,
etc.  A few of their favorites are Party Girl by Lynne Ewing, Tenderness
by Robert Cormier,  and The Facts Speak for Themselves by Brock Cole.  I
think their absolute favorite book is Go Ask Alice!

I promised several people a hit, so here it is!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people suggested books by Lurlene McDaniel.  I have several of her
books, and I have tried to get these girls interested in them to no avail;
the protagonists are not "edgy" enough!

The Princess Diaries and Princess in the Spotlight by Meg Cabot
A Child Called It and its sequel, The Lost Boy
Dreamland by Sarah Dessen
Bad by Jean Ferris
Swallowing Stones by Joyce McDonald (this is a really awesome book!)
Cut by Patricia McCormick
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Many Stones by Carolyn Coman
Books by Chris Crutcher
Beatrice Sparks books
Make Lemonade and True Believer by Virginia Euwer Woolf
The Bluford Series - 7 books in the series, very inexpensive - pulp fiction
When She Hollers by Cynthia Voigt
Imani All Mine by Connie Rose Porter
Cruddy by Lynda Barry
Letters From the Inside by John Marsden
Don't You Dare Read This, Mrs. Dunphrey by Margaret Peterson Haddix
It Happened to Nancy by an anonymous teen (similar to Go Ask Alice)
America by E. R. Frank
The Long Night of Leo and Bree by Ellen Wittlinger
Born Blue by Han Nolan
Fearless by Francine Pascal
My Sister's Bones (about a girl dealing with an anorexic sister)
Wind Blows Backward (a girl whose boyfriend acts suicidal)
We All Fall Down by Robert Cormier (Cormier's account of a house trashing
and revenge)
Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (vampire who looks like the boy next
door)
Goats by Brock Cole (a summer camp prank goes awry)
Crooked by Laura McNeal
When She Was Good by Norma Fox Mazer
A Door Near Here by Heather Quarles
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Dancing With an Alien by Mary Logue
Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison
Drive-By by Lynne Ewing
Treacherous Love: The Diary of an Anonymous Teenager
In the Middle of the Night by Robert Cormier
Heroes by Robert Cormier
The Bumblebee Flies Anyway by Robert Cormier

Thanks again to all who sent me titles!

Julie Purdy
Mt. Ararat Middle School
Topsham, Maine