I'm not sure what advantage there could be in teaching non-standard
versions, but I can sure think of some advantages of teaching to an
established standard:
1. Kids don't have to relearn a process with each teacher. I think the
teachers would appreciate the efficiency in teaching time.
2. You can start teaching earlier. Kids get the basic layout on basic
sources early (say 3rd grade) and build to more difficult.
3. The Librarian doesn't have to worry about which teacher's class is in
when helping kids with bibs, or assist teacher in teaching it.
4. There is published material available for the really sticky cites. No
trying to 'guess and figure'.
5. Samples of writing sent as part of resumes or portfolios will look
more professional.

Our district 'standardized' a couple of years ago. One Librarian at one
HS started the process, getting the English dept to use current MLA.
Then Media Dept got other HSs to sign on, the Middle Schools followed
quickly. Now we can hand out a sample guide at elementary that matches
the HS requirements.
Teachers see that there is an 'official' style and use it.

Deborah Stafford writes:"Is it more important that we get the EXACT MLA
styl= e or that we teach the importance to students following a standard
for citations?  By this I mean -- the English teachers at my school do
not al= l agree on what the "correct" style is. I have a print manual
for MLA (recent), have shown them several web sites including one from
the Modern=

Language Association. I also show them the citation guides from out
electronic databases (which I would assume are correct). In each case at
least one teacher is sure that isn't correct form. These teachers hand
ou= t their "standard" format."

Robert Eiffert, Librarian at Image Elementary
www.ima.egreen.wednet.edu/library.html
Library BLog
www.crypticmachinery.com
beiffert@attbi.com