I received the following from another list, and (after asking permission)
have copied it here.  What I thought was very interesting is the fact that I
don't have a "Yahoo account", but do have web space at Geocities (owned by
Yahoo).  It might be worth your while checking anything you have at Yahoo -
particularly if the spamming has increased in the last few months.

---------------------------------------------------------On Thursday, March
28, Yahoo! Groups set
everyone's account to the  "Have your
advertisers send me mail" option no matter
what folks had previously selected as their
preference. Because this has gone from an
opt-in service to an opt-out one, if you've
no desire to surrender your inbox to a deluge
of mail (i.e. spam) from Yahoo!'s advertisers,
you have to tell them that you don't want this
mail -- if you don't say anything, they will
just send it.

Yahoo! Groups hosts this mailing list, which
means your e-mail address is in its database
and your membership defaults have been reset
in this fashion, so this affects YOU.

Here's how to get yourself back to a non-
Yahoo!-spammed state. Please note you're the
only one who can make this change; list
moderators don't have access to your account,
so they can't reset this for you.

  and sign in.
Go to My Groups and click on Account Info,
  verify your password if it asks you to,
  which will bring up your Yahoo ID card.
Click on 'Edit Your Marketing Preferences'
  and change all those Yes's back to No's.
Click 'Save Changes.'
You might also want to review your other
  preferences.

Tina Gunther <tina.gunther@truth.biola.edu>
Cataloging Technician
Biola University Library