>I'm a library student and as part of our assignment we need to discuss =
>the issue of multiculturalism.  I would like to know how does your =
>library support this issue.  Are there any program happening in your =
libraries?
        Multiculturalism is a great buzz word these days.  If your
school is actually trying to deal with changing a monocultural
curriculum, then the library is probably central in that effort.  If
your school isn't doing anything in particular with the "M" word,
your efforts to create a diverse collection may be used as a showcase
for visitors, or points for administration without having to actually
make curriculum changes.  Multiculturalism isn't one issue, it's many
issues, such as having books about kids of color on the shelves, how
you deal with the Indian stereotypes in children's literature, how
you deal with bilingual and non-English speakers in your library and
your collection, whether you have information on different
disabilities and whether you have books that portray kids with
disabilities in a positive way, how you present books with "diverse"
characters (do you read books with Black characters during Black
History Month, or do you read them all year long?), what messages
kids get from books about different countries in your collection,
what views of American history are in your 970's and in your fiction,
is it primarily a Western European one or do you have other
viewpoints?  You will have different issues at the elementary, middle
and high schools.
        Anywho...here are a few resources that can help you not only
build a multicultural collection, but understand some of the issues
involved in addressing 'MC' issues in a school:

Here are a couple of web sites that might help you:

Making multicultural connections through trade books
http://www.mcps.k12.md.us/curriculum/socialstd/MBD/Books_Begin.html

This one has a wealth of articles and lists and runs the risk of
overwhelming you, but it is the best I have found:
http://curry.edschool.virginia.edu/go/multicultural/

And some very good books:
        The New Press Guide to Multicultural Resources for Young
People, ed. Daphne Muse, New Press 1997 -  for grades K-8  This not
only includes through reviews of all books listed, but also has
articles on many aspects of multicultural curriculum and staff
development.  This is a must-have.
        Against Borders: Promoting Books for a Multicultural World,
by Hazel Rochman, ALA Books 1993.  This is similar to the New Press
Guide but for grades 6-12.  Essays at the beginning show how the
recommended books illustrate the challenges teenagers face (The hero
and the monster, friends and enemies, outsiders, finding a way home.)
        Through Indian Eyes, The Native Experience in Books for
Children, ed. Beverly Slapin and Doris Seale.  New Society Publishers
1992  Very much like the New Press book, with a focus on books about
American Indians, also a must-have.
        Beyond Heroes and Holidays, A Practical Guide to K-12
Anti-Racist, Multicultural Education and Staff Development.  Eds Enid
Lee, Deborah Menkart, Margo Okazawa-Rey, Network of Educators on the
Americas, necada@aol.com  Anthology of articles, a goldmine of
resources on all aspects of diversity in schools.