My library has a sign by the door stating the maximum number
of bodies that may be in the library at one time.  What does
your fire code state?  You can ask your local fire marshall
to determine maximum occupancy (if it isn't already in
place).  And how many physical seats are there for students?
I have 70 seats, not counting the 14 computer spaces.
That's my top limit.  If I can't seat them properly, then we
are full.

We don't have free periods in our students' schedules, but
we do have a split lunch--half the kids at lunch and half in
class.  I sometimes have 50-70 students in the library (and
that number keeps increasing) during their 30 min. lunch
period.  Our classes are running 35-47 students, so with
room for only 70 students tops, something has to give.  So
when a class is in, lunch kids aren't (I will make
individual exceptions for those students I know always work
in the library--socializers have to go the cafeteria or the
quad area).   As soon as the last chair is filled, we are
full and my aide turns them away at the door.

At a previous school, we had Library Lunch passes because
the library was not accessible from the cafeteria, and the
hallways were off limits to the kids at lunch time.  If they
didn't have a pass from me, they didn't use the library at
lunch because the hall monitors wouldn't let them in.  I
gave out pass before school and during passing periods until
lunch started.  Disadvantage--kids who didn't plan ahead
were out of luck.  Advantage--kids who gave you problems
didn't get a pass for a few days to think over the error of
their ways!

Make a policy--get admin backing--and stick to it (but make
a few exceptions for the desperate!)

Lee D. Gordon, Librarian
Sierra Vista High School     (702)799-6820 x230
8100 W. Robindale Rd.          FAX 799-6847
Las Vegas, NV 89113   lgordon@lvcm.com
(New school as of July, 2001)