You people have rescued me a number of times, particularly in my
first (and crazy) library position.  I need some help again!!

I've been out nearly a month struggling with pneumonia.  I'm hoping
to go back next week half time to ease into it slowly.  But I got a
real whopper yesterday.  I was talking to my principal about some
trivial stuff and then she told me that there are some horrendous
budget cuts coming down the pike.  (Nothing new, we've been hearing
about these for several months).  I knew that one of our PE teachers
has been cut.  She told me that if we had to do an across-the-board
10% cut, that my position would be cut.  She told me that it was
highly unlikely that this would happen, but that she had to tell each
person who might be affected.

Now, I know that every spring we've had one crisis or another about
the school budget and each time we never get to the worst case
scenario.  So I trust that I have only a very slim chance of losing
this job.  I also don't have any other info (just yet) about who else
and what else is on the chopping block if we have to cut 10%.  What
has me grinding my teeth is that she can picture cutting my position.
I am planning to go in some time next week and ask her just what the
10% cut looks like and how she decided to cut me.

One of my allies blew her stack when I told her, and she recommended
going to the school committee, preferably with the two other SLMS in
the district.  This is a political wasp's nest including a
superintendent who was new last fall.  So I'm not sure that going to
the school committee might not backfire.

HELP ME...before I go back next week (still staggering from
exhaustion from the pneumonia), what questions should I be asking,
what cautions do you think I need?  Give me some new perspectives on
this.  Am I right to assume that if my job is in danger (however
slight) that it is my right to tell other staff in my building?
After getting the message, fairly consistently and loudly, from my
principal in the last couple of years that the library program is not
a priority for her and isn't a part of the academic plan, I am pretty
discouraged about standing up for the program.  Help me and my
muddled brain think here.

Exhaustedly yours,
Johanna

--
Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (preK-4)