Hi everyone,

Sorry if you get this message on both lists, but I would like to ask advice=
 from as many people as possible.

Here's a little background to help you understand my question/request:
I am automating a high school library that also functions as the community =
library.  Before I got here, there was no organization to the library, the =
books weren't cataloged in any way, and there was little to no library usag=
e.  (Actually, the books did turn out to be sort of loosely grouped by subj=
ect, but were mostly arranged by size.) If people want books to read, they =
just get their books when the Bookmobile comes once a month.  Some of the a=
dults in the community have used a public library, or remember their school=
 library experiences.  However, for the most part, no one really knows how =
a library is arranged, or how to look up books on the OPAC, or anything abo=
ut usual library procedures.  (I have gotten a little frustrated with peopl=
e coming in and just taking books without checking them out, or moving them=
 to other sections seemingly unaware of the organization that I am trying t=
o develop!)  Up to (and including) now, the library hasn't been made very a=
ccessible to the community members.

I now have the adult and YA fiction almost finshed, and a small section of =
nonfiction books cataloged (000s, 100s, and a few 200s).  Before now, I saw=
 little point in trying to teach library skills, since there weren't many b=
ooks cataloged or labeled.  Now there are only 2 weeks left of school.  So,=
 I have decided to leave "Library Training" for the high school kids until =
fall.  My plan now is to finish cataloging the adult and YA fiction before =
the end of the month, and schedule some days/times when the library will be=
 open to the community.  However, before I would be willing to let them loo=
se in the library, I need to do some sort of "Library Training" so they'll =
know what they're doing and how to find things.  I was thinking that maybe =
I could require them to be "trained" before I give them a library card.  (F=
YI: there are about 25 students who attend the high school, and *maybe* as =
many as 75 people who actually live in the community, including babies and =
little kids... so we are not talking about hundreds of people or anything)

I am planning to do trainings (can you think of a better name for this?) in=
 age level sections:

 * 5 & unders and their parents
 * Elementary kids and their parents
 * Middle school and high school kids (the ones who live here... I will do =
something a little more in depth in the fall with all of the HS students...=
 What, I am not exactly sure.)
 * Adults

So.  My request/question is this: Do you have any suggestions of specific s=
kills or ideas that I should be teaching/sharing?  Would it make sense to j=
ust go over the basics now, a little more in-depth with the Fiction books, =
and leave Dewey stuff for later when I have more of those books cataloged? =
 Or should I just do it all now? (By "now" I mean "in June") Maybe have a p=
rogression of trainings/workshops/info sessions throughout the summer?
I have some ideas and resources for the 5 & unders, and for the elementary =
kids, but I am completely at a loss as to how to go about teaching library =
skills to high school kids or adults who have no idea how it all works.  I =
would welcome any and all suggestions for any of the age levels.  I would e=
specially appreciate suggestions on how to educate the adults without talki=
ng down to them.  Also, if you think there are problems with my plans, plea=
se say so!=20=20

I will be cataloging through the summer, and have talked them into hiring s=
omeone to help me... I hope to get the juvenile fiction cataloged soon, and=
 a lot more of the non-fiction cataloged before September.

Thank you for your time,=20
Karisa

Karisa Hayward, Librarian
EskDale High School
EskDale, Utah
Daisy@goducks.com

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?