Thanks to all who responded regarding my request for suggestions about
books for an all school novel and for ideas/feedback on the concept.  I
will be looking at the book suggestions as well as recent award winning
books for ideas.  The consensus seems to be that the concept is a good
one.  We are having another meeting today and will be discussing it
further.  Here are the responses I received:

Hi Nancy,
      I've heard that a neighboring community is doing this in their
junior-senior high with a novel called "Wish You Well: by David
Baldacci.
I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book and am enjoying it. It takes
place in a small Virginia town in the 1940's.

I think it is a great idea.  It is a community building experience,a
lthough
I don't really have any real experience with it. My son's boarding
school
did it but we were just supposed to discuss it in our family.

I HIGHLY, most HIGHLY recommend Abelove's "Go and come back". It is a
fantastic book full of discussion points. It does address sexuality, so
don't know if that would be  too controversial.

Please post a hit, I've thought of doing this.  I'm in a k-5 school and
have
  often thought that Bud, Not Buddy would be a great community read.

Love to see a hit on this - I've had an English
  teacher here express interest in ME doing this - no
  offer to help with any phase!

We tried to get all schools in Kentucky to read Barbara Kingsolver's
novel
  Bean Trees.  I loved the novel, many kids did, but I think it was
difficult
  for some of the boys but it is a great novel.

We haven't done this, but I like the idea. Will you share a hit?
  I would suggest the book, Yellow Raft on Blue Water by Michael
Dorris.  It's a great
  point of view book from students would benefit from having teachers'
guidance.

Hello;
  Although the reading level is not especially and the book is short, I
  had a lot of success last year with Paul Fleischman's Whirligig. The
  subject matter was interesting and important to our high school
  students. If you are like most high schools, you have lost more than
one
  student, brother, sister, friend, boyfriend, girlfriend to the scourge

  of drunk driving. At our school it was especially important to read
the
  book and have the conversations because we lost a teacher to a drunk
  driver. The book will appeal to all readers and the subject is
critical
  to young drivers.
  Good luck with your search.

Nancy:
  I highly recommend NIGHT by Elie Wiesel as your all-school novel.  It
is
  short, easy-to-read, and has a powerful, universal message that is
especially
  important today.  The city of Chicago just read it as part of their
One Book,
  One City reading initiative.
  Hope this helps.

I do not have any ideas for you, but I was discussing the concept of a
school-wide
  book to be read aloud during our newly designated SSR time (for next
year) just a
  few days ago. The other teacher and I were contemplating its potential
virtues. If
  you get some responses I hope you post them because I would love to
hear some ideas
  for implementation.

We read Downsiders for such a project. We also discussed Ellen
  Foster by Gibbons. George Anne Draper

Nancy,
  A neighboring city did The Watsons Go to Birmingham.  The level may be
lower
  than you want, but it begins in Detroit and ends up in Alabama with
the
  bombing of the Birmingham church.  I've had many students read this
and like
  it.  I also liked Rocket Boys AKA October Skies.