Our district is working on a curriculum mapping project.  In addition, we =
are focusing on enduring understandings and essential questions.  Our =
library team is having a hard time figuring out how to proceed with this.  =
If you have experience working with any of these issues, would you take a =
few minutes to help us out, by answering a few questions?

1.  Are you creating separate curriculum maps for your libraries, or are =
you integrating the library in the subject area maps?

2.  If your library maps are separate, do you adhere strictly to exactly =
what you personally teach, or do you include what the classroom teacher  =
covers?  For instance, in our school the English teachers teach the total =
research process - outlining, note taking etc.  We teach identifying and =
evaluating resources, plus we add significantly to the teaching proper =
citation.  What should go into our maps?=20

3.  Can you give us any insight into enduring understanding and essential =
questions - or point us to articles that will help us out?  I  already =
have The From Now On article - "A Questioning Toolkit" (Nov 1997).

4.  I just read Doug Johnson's article in Book Report - "Old Folks and =
Technology".  I was intrigued by the John Lubbock quote that he used:
"There are three great questions which in life we have to ask over and =
over again to answer:
Is it right or wrong?
Is it true or false?
Is it beautiful or ugly?
Our education ought to help us to answer these questions."

It seems as if those questions can somehow be used as essential questions =
for the information process.  Although I do have some trouble  figuring =
how to work the beautiful/ugly part into it - perhaps something like "Is =
it important/relevant or trivial" would work.  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for sharing your collective expertise.

Jacquie

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost"
 J.R.R. Tolkien
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School
Gananda Central School District