I also agree that 2 numbers past the decimal are not
always sufficient!  In the holiday section, for example,
this dumps all your holidays together, all mixed up!  By
using the full Dewey extension, holidays are separated
into a logical sequence, beginning in January and going
through December, with all the books about the same
holiday on the shelf together.  Same goes for the Native
American books as mentioned in the secondary library.
Folktales will be separated by country of origin when
the full extension is used; animals in the 590's will be
grouped by species, type, etc. instead of just all
jumbled up by the author's last name.  Those Dewey
extensions were developed for a very good reason, and
NOT using them really is a disservice to patrons, I
think.

I solved the problem of being able to see the entire
Dewey by relabeling ALL classified books with labels
that run up and down the spine, instead of around the
spine.  That way it is easier to read across a shelf or
cart when searching for a particular number, instead of
having to turn your head one way to look at some spines
and another way to look at others.  Someone on another
list suggested it must be nice to have the time to do
that...NOTE:  I have NEVER had an aide, and at the time
I had only ONE volunteer for a couple of hours one day a
week.  It took us all of one school year and part of the
next to do the entire collection; I printed the spine
labels a Dewey section at a time, and we worked on it a
few minutes "whenever" - but it was well worth it!  It's
much easier to shelve & keep books in order, and it's
easier to find books!
--
Leah Hawkins, Librarian
West Hurst Elementary