Thanks to all of you for your patience while waiting for the recommended=20
Lewis & Clark videos.  Many of you touted the PBS Ken Burns=E2=80=99 documen=
tary. =20
Thanks again to those that took the time to respond. =20
I really appreciate it!   Susan

My original query read:

Dear Netters-
Can anyone recommend any worthwhile videos about Lewis & Clark for a middle
school population?  Or, if you have seen the IMAX Lewis & Clark film, please
let me know if you think that it is a worthwhile experience to spend half a
day to travel to and from this showing instead of watching a video in our ow=
"home." I will post a hit.  Please respond to the address below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

PBS Ken Burns....Lewis and Clark.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

The Ken Burns videos are
good, but you'd need to edit.=20
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
--

I recommend the Ken Burns PBS video about Lewis and Clark.

=C3=98       The 23-minute video, =C2=B3Experiences and Discovery - Plants a=
nd Animals=20
from the
Lewis & Clark Expedition of North Dakota, The video was funded with grants
from the National Park Service-Knife River Indian Villages National Historic
Site; U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bismarck Office; U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers, Garrison Project; BNI Coal, BP Mandan Refinery; Great River
Energy-Coal Creek and Stanton; and MDU Resources. The ND Game and Fish
Department, State Historical Society of North Dakota, Indian Affairs
Commission, Tourism Division and KAT Productions provided in-kind
assistance.

http://www.lewisandclark200.com/

http://lewisandclarktrail.dns2go.com/bookstore.html

<A HREF=3D"http://lewisandclarkandmark.com/VideoSales.htm">http://lewisandcl=
arkandmark.com/VideoSales.htm</A>

National Geographic has a video and a DVD of Lewis and Clark. I ordered it
but have not seen it yet. But their stuff is usually good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

--------------------------------------------=20

The Ken Burns' documentary is simply amazing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

--------------------------------------------=20

Susan, Missouri Department of Conservation produced a wonderful Lewis and
Clark video about a year ago. "Lewis and Clark, Corps of Discovery in
Missouri" concentrates more on the Missouri part of the journey, but gives a
good feel for start of journey and really, for the entire trip. It is
produced by Missouri Outdoors, Missouri Department of Conservation in
Jefferson City, MO

The name of the video is "Lewis & Clark: Corps of Discovery in Missouri." It=
=20
may have a subtitle of "We Proceeded On."  Runtime of 27 minutes.

Produced by the Missouri Department of Conservation, P.O. Box 180, Jefferson=
=20
City, MO 65102-0180.=20

Telephone: 573/751-4115. Website: <A HREF=3D"http://www.missouriconservation=
.org/">www.missouriconservation.org</A>

email <A HREF=3D"mailto:drenok@mail.conservation.state.mo.us">drenok@mail.co=
nservation.state.mo.us</A>

For those of us in Missouri schools, it was free, but I'm guessing it's abou=
t=20
$30.00, if that much.

There is another video, "Missouri's Tallgrass Prairie: An American Original"=
=20
which tells a lot about the vegetation of the tallgrass prairies, which is=20
what Lewis and Clark would have seen.

Hope this helps. We did "Captain's Dog" by Roland Smith as a summer school=20
unit. You can get, FREE, wonderful lesson plans from him. Just go to his=20
website.  We used the videos along with book, etc. and ended up with a=20
fabulous unit and our kids really enjoyed it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

Greetings from the land of Sgt. Floyd...I checked the OPAC from my supportin=
agency, Western Hills AEA 12 in Sioux City for possible video titles on the
subject of Lewis and Clark. I am pasting below the citations for the most=20
recent
productions that you may want to pursue. The abbreviations include VR=3D Vid=
eo
Recording; PIJSA=3D Primary, Intermediate, Junior high, Senior high, Adult

Good luck!

AMERICAN HISTORY FOR KIDS: LEWIS AND CLARK EXPEDITION (VIDEO)=20
VR, PI, 17 Min, LANDMARK MEDIA, 2001
GEORGE SHANNON - THE YOUNGEST MEMBER OF THE FAMOUS LEWIS & CLARK EXPEDITION=20=
-
TELLS THE FASCINATING STORY OF MERIWEATHER LEWIS AND WILLIAM CLARK'S GRAND=20
SAGA
OF DISCOVERY. (1/2" VHS VIDEO FORMAT)=20
-----
EXPLORERS OF THE WORLD: LEWIS & CLARK (VIDEO)=20
VR, IJ, 23 Min, SCHLESSINGER VIDEO PROD., 2000
IN THE EARLY 1800S, PRESIDENT THOMAS JEFFERSON CHOSE MERIWETHER LEWIS AND
WILLIAM CLARK TO EXPLORE THE LAND BEYOND THE WESTERN BOUNDARIES OF THE UNITE=
STATES. THEIR GOALS: TO SEARCH FOR THE ELUSIVE NORTHWEST PASSAGE THROUGH=20
NORTH
AMERICA, TO OPEN COUMMUNICATIONS WITH INDIAN NATIONS, TO CLAIM AND CLARIFY=20
NEW
BORDERS AND TERRITORIES, AND TO RETURN WITH MAPS AND DETAILED OBSERVATIONS O=
THE NATURAL RESOURCES THAT THEY SIGHTED ALONG THE WAY. CLOSED CAPTIONED.=20
(1/2"
VHS VIDEO FORMAT)=20
-----
EXPLORING THE WORLD: U.S. - THE LEWIS AND CLARK TRAIL (VIDEO)=20
VR, IJS, 15 Min, CL, CHIP TAYLOR PROD., 2000
RETRACES THE STEPS OF LEWIS AND CLARK AS THEY BEGAN TO MOVE WESTWARD IN 1804
FROM BISMARK, NORTH DAKOTA, AND CONTINUES ALONG THE OLD WEST TRAIL TO THE EN=
D=20
IN
BIG SKY, MONTANA. (1/2" VHS VIDEO FORMAT)=20
-----
LEWIS AND CLARK NATIONAL HISTORIC TRAIL (VIDEO)=20
VR, PIJS, 21 Min, CL, NATIONAL PARK SERVICE, 98
DESCRIBES IN DETAIL LEWIS AND CLARK'S EXPEDITION BEGINNING AT THE MISSOURI=20
RIVER
AND GOING TO THE PACIFIC OCEAN AND BACK TO ST. LOUIS, DURING THE YEARS OF=20
1804 -
1806. EXPLAINS THAT TODAY YOU CAN RETRACE PORTIONS OF THIS HISTORIC ROUTE. I=
1978 CONGRESS ESTABLISHED THE "LEWIS AND CLARK HISTORIC TRAIL" TO ENSURE THA=
T=20
IT
IS PRESERVED AND DEVELOPED. (1/2" VHS VIDEO FORMAT)=20
-----
LEWIS & CLARK EXPEDITION: A UNIQUELY AMERICAN STORY PTS 1&2 (VIDEO)=20
VR, PIJ, 46 Min, FILM IDEAS, INC., 2002
RETRACE THE ADVENTUROUS TRAIL OF THESE TRUE AMERICAN HEROES WHO FACED MANY
ADVERSITIES AND SACRIFICED PERSONAL AMBITIONS FOR THE SAKE OF A NEWLY BORN
COUNTRY. (1/2" VHS VIDEO FORMAT)=20
-----
WESTWARD STRATEGY: THE LOUISIANA PURCHASE AND THE LEWIS AND CLARK EXPEDITION
(VIDEO)=20
VR, IJ, 26 Min, RAINBOW EDUC. MEDIA, 2001
STUDENTS WILL GAIN INSIGHT TO THE LOUISIANA PURCHASE THROUGH AN EXAMINATION=20
OF
THE STRATEGIC IMPORTANCE OF THE TERRITORY, NAPOLEON'S MOTIVES FOR SELLING IT=
=20
THE U.S., AND THE OBSTACLES THOMAS JEFFERSON ENCOUNTERED IN HIS EFFORT TO BU=
IT. (1/2" VHS VIDEO FORMAT)=20

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

A&E has one in their Biography series