I apologize - I have accidently deleted the replies that I got on this =
topic.  Many suggested that I use topics of current interest - rock stars =
etc.  Combining the suggestions that I received, and also a topic that one =
of our 9th graders is planning to research,  I have come up with as search =
that will work very well to demonstrate search skills. There is a theory =
that Kurt Cobain's suicide was actually a carefully planned murder with =
Courtney Love being the chief suspect.  It will be perfect for me to use =
to demonstrate our research databases and our library catalog.  There are =
so many key words to explore:  Kurt Cobain, Courtney Love, Nirvana, Rock, =
Rock Music, Murder, suicide etc.  I also can use it as a perfect way to =
encourage the students to start with the research databases.  I did a =
search on Courtney Love on google and 9 out of the 10 pages that came up =
were blocked by our content filter.  A perfect reason for the students to =
use the research databases, since they are not blocked!   The one website =
that was not blocked was not an acceptable research site because there was =
no information on the author or organization behind the web page.  So - =
there is an opportunity to show students how they must evaluate sites =
before using them in their research.

I think this will be a perfect topic to use with 9th graders to keep their =
attention.  I will have them create a "word bank" first and we will try =
combining those keywords and using them separately and coming to conclusion=
s about how using AND, OR and NOT work.

Thanks for your help. and again - my apologies for losing the detailed =
results.  They definitely helped me plan this lesson.

Jacquie

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost"
 J.R.R. Tolkien
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School
Gananda Central School District