Thanks to everyone who responded to my request regarding label makers.  I've
included some of your responses for those who were interested.  Our tech
dept surprised us with a new printer that has a by-pass feature so now we
can send the label sheets through without "gumming" up the works.

I use/like the Dymo label printer which has about 3 sizes which range
in price from  $400- 200  Brodart sells them but they can be purchased
at varies computer stores.  You have to use a windows based program for
them to work.  The printer attaches to the computer via a serial connect
which most of us don't  use too much but this also allow a lazer,
printer, desk jet, or even an old dot matrix to be attached to the
computer also and not interfere.  I like them because they are very
small and quiet.  In an office where 6 of use are printing labels one by
one for books quiet is a very nice feature. They are a thermal printer
thus you do not have ribbons to change just labels.  Many offices who do
lots of mailing like them as they have a mailing or return address size
label.  It may appear more expensive at first but in management time
etc.  I believe I have saved.  Any way give it a look

I have a small label maker that I use to make spine
labels as well as other labels. Brand name is Dymo
Label Maker. Most library suppliers have them in their
catalogs (Demco, etc). Big office suppliers like Boise
Cascade also carry them. You can order different sizes
and styles of label rolls. I love the easy changing
out of label rolls and use it for making everything
from file folder labels to labels for magazine boxes
and shipping labels to student name labels for library
cards!

I use a Lablemaker that I bought from Demco. It is fantastic for spine
labels
and for making other types of labels. I have also heard that the Brother
PTouch is good.  The tape for these machines is a bit expensive, about $20 a
roll, but it lasts a good while. I don't think you'll be sorry if you buy
one.

I have found that for printing labels one or two at a time, one of the
hand-held label makers works.  We have a Brother p-touch model that prints 5

different sizes.  We just use white tape in it.

Last year we broke down and bought a Brother P-Touch label maker.  We
purchased model 2200.  It will print out 1-5 lines on special P-touch tape.
The tape is expensive, but you can purchase it online in quantity and
receive
a decent discount compared to the local office supply store.  We are VERY
pleased with it.  The labels are white with black letter, in 24 pt font.
They
are very easy to read and the kids even noticed the improvement.  Hope this
helps you make your decision.

I use a P-Touch Pro DX- it works with my computer and our library automation
software (Winnebago).  It is also quite fun to use!  I told everyone at the
beginning of this year that we'd all be lucky if I didn't label the students
STUDENTS, all the books BOOKs, all in different fonts!  :-)

I thought some of the others members of our listserv might be interested in
this!  I use Avery Labels 5160 for book cards and book pockets.  I have been
using Avery 5162 for spines.  I know they are a little long but I center my
info, put a label protector from Gaylord over them, and they seem to stay on
fairly well.

We use Microsoft Office Access 2000.  It has a label report that allows you
to select the size label you want.  We print off on a sheet of paper and
then run the sheet of labels manually thru the copier.  Works perfectly
great!

Betty Klein
Librarian
Avery Coonley School