A while ago, I promised to post a hit on collection development tools for
science materials.  I'll check out these titles and websites when I get a
breather.  I'm also planning to have some publisher reps come in with science
books so my science teachers can preview them.

Thanks for all your help!

Terri
-------------
Hopefully at least one of those science teachers is a member of the
National Science Teachers Association and has saved some of their old back
issues of their journals.  There are books and other media reviewed in them
as well as the journals of the professional organizations of each and every
discipline.  That is why I try to get principals to sign off on
institutional memberships for the major ones.  Usually these memberships
cost no more than one individual membership which is coincidentally the
same price as I would pay EBSCO to just subscribe to the journal.  If I get
the journal in the library, I can read the reviews and ask the teachers
opinions.  I also can store the journals for a few years anyway.  But that
is at the elementary level where to cost of joining all the organizations
would far exceed the budget of most teachers.

----------------------
go to linworth.com
click on Book Report
click on Current Articles
go town to "Revolution and Evolution in the..."  it is a comprehensive
article on weeding and collection development of the 500's...

-------------------------
I am also in the process of buying newer science books for the science
department.  I am doing it by science unit - specific assignments that
students will complete in the library.

I found that science teachers knew few specific books that they wanted, but
that they did know the units they wanted to do.  Two projects have been:
1) contributions of minorities and/or women in science and 2) genetic
disorders.  I found great resources from the Gale catalog for both of these
units.The next units I'll be working on is Biomes.

journal with backing from a lot of major science associations in the
U.S.  If I remember correctly, they also published an annual catalog of
recommended books & films with brief reviews that I used for a selection
tool.  Their website is
    http://www.sbfonline.com/

---------------------
I used http://www.sunlink.ucf.edu/weed/
Here the weed of the month told you what to weed and suggestions for
replacing the weeded items.

---------------------
I just finished my library credentials and one of my course covered
selection tools.  One that I looked at and found to be very helpful to all
levels is Science Books and Films.  Perhaps your local university might
carry it. It reviews books, videos, etc. related to science.  One issue is a
year's best listing as well, I think it's the December or January issue but
I am not sure.  Good luck.

---------------------------------
Hi there, how about looking at the NATIONAL SCIENCE TEACHER'S
ASSOCIATION list available on the internet, under this name,

---------------------------
The 10/1/98 issue of School Library Journal contains a good article,
"Confused about fusion: weed your science collection with a pro" that
was a big help to me in updating my science books for a jr. sr. h.s.
collection.

------------------------
I was a first-year librarian last year and was similarly appalled by my 500s
section.  I get some money from the state each year (I am in a Catholic
school) and last Spring I spent it ALL on good up-to-date reference
materials in the sciences/environmental resources, etc.

The standouts:

Facts on File Living Earth series (8 volumes from "Historical Geology" to
"Plate Tectonics)

Facts on File Ecosystem series (Deserts, Oceans, Wetlands, Temperate Forests

Matt Ridley's "Genome" is a great and readable introduction to genetic
mapping and its consequences.

---------------------------
I have some wonderful sets of science books published by Atlantic
Europe in Europe, but by I think Grolier in the US. One series is
called The elements, another Weatherwatch. Brian Knapp wrote many of
them.

---------------------------
See if you can find someone who has copies of the Senior High School Catalog
and its supplements from H. W. Wilson that you can consult.  They list core
titles by curriculum/subject area.
I understand what you mean about science titles going out of relevance.  It
happens so quickly now, along with anything to do with human health and
various technologies.  My head swims!

Terri Lent
Librarian
Patrick Henry High School
Ashland, Va.
tlent@aol.com
Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day
makes the day happier.
Kathleen Norris