Hi--

As a fairly new (to a school setting) librarian, I have run into some
problems with the scheduling of the computer lab that is located on the
main floor of the library and I am looking for help.

When I started here in October of 2000, there were no
restrictions--teachers could sign up for however many days and class
periods they wanted on a first-come, first-serve basis.  This worked
fine until Spring, when one teacher signed up for several five-day weeks
and no one else could get in.

For 2001-02, we created a policy guaranteeing that no-one could sign up
for more than three days in a week and only two of the days could be
consecutive.  That worked fine for last year, so we kept it for this
year.

However, for 2002-03, I find that teachers signed themselves up for
multiple days all the way into next May!  It never occurred to me that
the staff would do this, but we have now created a policy addendum about
not signing up more than four weeks in advance.

Now, the teachers who have not been able to get in here as much as they
would like are wanting to develop a better policy/procedure, and I am
turning to you all for help.

There is another computer lab available, but it is in a separate
building and the teachers don't like to go there.  In the winter they
don't like to walk outside and in the summer they like our air
conditioning.

If you have a set-up similar to ours and you have a policy that might
help me, will you please send me a copy or tell me how to find it?

Thank you.

--
Carol J. Knowlton, Librarian
Muskegon High School