This question does not have to do with school libraries, but I thought
some of you might be able to point me in the right direction.  (I am a
GSLIS student and have worked for several years as a library aide at the
elementary level; right now I teach reading as a Title I tutor in an
elementary school)

An acquaintance would like to hire someone to catalog his own collection
of professional books.  He probably has a few thousand volumes, mostly
related to industrial psychology, group leadership, facilitating groups,
etc. (I'm not entirely sure - haven't seen the collection)

First I need to ask him the right questions in order to help him.
Anyone have any suggestions?  I will need to eventually recommend a
software program, I assume.  And if I were to take on the job of
cataloging, is there an online source for LC subjects?  Would I
definitely use LC, or consider Dewey, or is Dewey only for schools?

Given that I am asking these very basic questions, should I just
recommend that he get someone who knows what s/he is doing, and maybe
offer to post the job at my library school?

That question begs another:  when will I become the "expert" - ready to
tackle any library position?  I have taken quite a few courses, and I
still can't quite see myself jumping into a position and being the one
with all the answers, or even with the knowledge of where to find the
answers.

If anyone has suggestions about approaching this "job" or at least
speaking somewhat knowledgeably about what decisions the person will
have to make, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Sarah Woo
woo@simmons.edu